Ping: Leon.

Dude! Just got to take a look at your tool chest via:

don't always get a.b.p.w to behave around here.

Just love the big handles and those glides. You probably could have bought a steel cabinet for less... but it just wouldn't be the same, eh?

I really like it.

The best part is that it is all business, and doesn't try to look like a jewellery box. Form follows function. Gropius would be proud. (He married Alma Mahler... Gustav's widow...but then again, you knew that.)

DO try to tell me what role your Laguna played in this... *G*

respectfully,

Robatoy

Well thanks Robatoy, I like the handles also. I pondered for a week as to what style to fabricate and suddenly, poof, I had the vision. :~) I give KV credit for the glides?

For the same size steel box/ boxes I was looking $1K minimum. I got out for about $300 plus my time.

It started out as simply storage. Three weeks ago I had no thoughts of actually building the chest at this time but I visualized where it could fit and moved a file cabinet and a couple of wall cabinets and the opportunity opened. I wanted to do it quick and dirty but when the varnish brought out the color and the near black streaks in the handles and frame I had to go with black on the birch sides and top and add 1/4 rounds on the top and sides to give a more suttle finished look.

Who is this Gustav guy? ;~)

While pondering the design of the handles I stepped out into the shop and spoke out, Which one of you would like to be touched and fondled? The Laguna bravely stepped out and begged for it. My wife stepped out from the kitchen and asked, Who are you talking to? *G*

Thank you Sir for the kind words and keep an eye on your sister. She is an inspiration to us all.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Gustav Mahler...he wrote a few tunes. Not really Texas-kinda stuff..but some of it catchy.

Reply to
Robatoy

Reply to
Joseph Golaine

Always fun for somebody to catch a reference like that....obscure as it was.

I was reading Lehrer's lyrics to Old Mexico the other day...brilliant...just brilliant.

Robatoy