Ping: Larry Jaques - Re plate Joiner

Yeah, biscuits appear to be stamped out, the edges do not appear to be milled or cut. I also find them to be inconsistent in thickness, I often found that some fit the same hole too loosely or too tightly.

Toss in that a proper depth biscuit slot is much wider than the biscuit and that the biscuit alignment on only good for up and down. Side to side is a no go.

Reply to
Leon

Swingman made a good point about considering the bandsaw as the first choice. I prefer having both, but for someone just starting to obtain tools, they need to consider what they will be trying to do. Unfortunately we all have to deal with some kind of budget.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Leon, wrote the following at or about 10/30/2012 8:04 AM:

IIRC the biscuit ARE stamped AND compressed. This is built-in functionality, I'm told. Do your dry fit, then add the glue, insert biscuits and clamp up the assembly. They will swell slightly to provide a tight fit.

This is one reason you don't use them close to the finished edge as that swelling will "telegraph" through.

That you find some are too loose or too snug could merely be a sign of the ambient conditions under which they were stored.

Dominoes would sure cure that, I suspect

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

One would think but the loose ones and the tight ones and the correct fit ones all come from the same bag stored in the same Tupperware container. I never have this issue with solid wood tenons.

They can if necessary, the Domino will cut a mortise to exact width and thickness. More often than not however I set the Domino to cut a mortise that is slightly wider so that mortise placement is not too critical to give me a touch of wiggle room. IIRC with a biscuit you could probably have as much as 3/8" wiggle room like it or not.

Reply to
Leon

---------------------------------------------------------------- "Sw> I disagree, and from a strong personal experience.

----------------------------------------------------- And the Amish only use hand power on the job site; however, they do use tablesaws powered from stationary power in the shop.

Being a "Normite", give me a good table saw with a great fence, a good dado set with a sacrifical fence and I'm happy.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I assume that's especially true for a slot cut using a router (with a slot-cutter bit). But If you have at least one biscuit on each of two perpendicular planes (like the rails and the stiles), it seems like that would work fairly-well, no?

I watched a video which showed the user cutting one Domino slot as a "tight-fit" and the parallel ones as loose fits to facilitate

*assembly*. The tight fit one was to facilitate *placement*.

BTW, if you had your choice, would you rather have Bosch corded (JS-470) or cordless Li-ion jig saw. They are close to the same price since I already own batteries. My gut tells me the corded one is probably better made (and built to last). Of course, I am pleased with my cordless drill and impact driver. Maybe I'm just slow to adapt. I just got a cordless phone, and I leave it plugged in... : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I will be trying to be a craftsman.

I've read several of the books that Paul N. Hasluck co-wrote/edited. I may build a chicken coop with Acanthus leaves and floral ornamentation carved on the outside. I might pound some nails and string some wires, and pluck the strings like a banjo or guitar...

Is one supposed to start with chickens or eggs? I may have to go with Festool is the they don't like my shopvac...

Cheers, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill everyone is giving ;you suggestions on what they learned. Right or wrong it is for you decide what works for you. You make the best decision for you.

Reply to
Mike M

Yes, I appreciate that. I was just having a little fun with more prior post--but I meant the part about "craftsman".

With regard to what you said, concerning "joining" tools, I added a $21 (router) slot cutter to my Amazon wish list. That tool suggestion surely saved me close to $200 for the time being. I think the tool is quite adequate for "where I am at" too.

I can have a lot of fun with a pencil. I just can't cut a dado with one.

Cheers, Bill

Reply to
Bill

I'm not afraid to ask questions, and I'm always thankful for any suggestions that I get. One thing I have learned (in another venue) is that there is "power in numbers". The communal interest is a good motivator. There are so many possible sources of distraction these days. I think this is certainly one of my primary social outlets too. I'm also a member of a woodcarving club--big "event" this weekend, in central Indiana, supported by several clubs. And then there's my full-time job! : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

vs Crapsman?

I grabbed the HF set one day, before I bought a bisquicker. They're a bother, comparatively, but for under $8... It's saved for splines.

adequate for "where I am at" too.

Where "at" is you, anyway?

They really have to be spinning to achieve that.

-- It is easier to fool people than it is to convince people that they have been fooled. --Mark Twain

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Pay attention, Bubba ... _The Man_ himself speaks!!

the technique that Norm uses to mount face frames to casework using biscuits and a slot cutter, as Lew suggested.

What he doesn't mention is that this technique allows you to adjust the FF position, similar to what Leon was saying about making the Domino mortises a little wider in length to gain some "wiggle room" in fitting the parts together.

Disclaimer ... I do not use this method of attaching FF's, but do not have a problem with recommending it if it suits your needs.

(I prefer the dado in the FF method because it allows me to concentrate on building a very square FF, then assembling the cabinet casework on top of that guaranteed square FF, insuring a SQUARE cabinet ... making drawers, doors, and hardware much easier to install overall, and saving me enough time to make a profit on the job)

YMMV ...

Reply to
Swingman

I guess there is Cheap, and then there is Super-Cheap! How do your 5/32" biscuits fit into the 1/8" slots? I assume you're not using the 1/4" slots.

That's the thing about woodworking (as pointed out in an interesting post by HA* the other day). Everyone seems to approach it having different background and experience. With regards to your question, I am "here"! At least that's what the map says :)

Yes, if you have any old Tinker Toys lying around, you can make a fly cutter bit! : ) That's the fact, Jack!

Reply to
Bill

Thanks for the post!

Bill

>> Note the technique that Norm uses to mount face frames to casework using

Reply to
Bill

Yep, that little tip is worth the price of admission right there!

Reply to
Bill

THAT was the other teensy little problem, and one of the main reasons I bought the cheapie bisquicker a bit later.

You can't get there from here.

Ah, the wonders of Tinker Toys. I preferred the Erector Set over Lincoln Logs and Tinker Toys. Mom still remembers how impressed she was when I built the moving robot back in '60. It makes a kid proud to have a proud Mom, y'know?

-- It is easier to fool people than it is to convince people that they have been fooled. --Mark Twain

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm still caught on the "wider in length" bit, myself. Izzat a metric trick?

-- It is easier to fool people than it is to convince people that they have been fooled. --Mark Twain

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I see. You just wondered if you could make me make the same mistake! :)

Yes, I did Lincoln Logs, then the Erector Set. I built the "Windmill" a few times..that was a "big project". My sister had a set of Tinker Toys and neither of us liked them. I did have a set of mostly red/orange plastic bricks that taught me a little about construction.. ; )

And 15 seconds later here they are:

less time than it would take to dig them out of the attic.

Mom still remembers how impressed she

Reply to
Bill

Do you see anywhere in that paragraph where I suggest you buy them, hmm? You had already bought your slotter, anyway.

My sister and I got some large scale building in with Tinker Toys.

Premature eBayulation?

I never saw or played with those or Lego.

-- It is easier to fool people than it is to convince people that they have been fooled. --Mark Twain

Reply to
Larry Jaques

>>> in less time than it would take to dig them out of the attic.

These came long before Lego. I read where some "purists" don't like it when they are referred to as "Pre-Lego". Someone wrote an easy to find product history (which I got sucked into). Turns out there were two brothers named Hal and Sam... : )

Reply to
Bill