PING: John Moorhead

On Fri, Feb 4, 2005, 6:32pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.splinter.net (John=A0Moorhead) you posted the following: Folks - Well, the lamp prototype is coming together - boy, this thing has a million parts and a zillion edges.... it's a beauty, tho'.... I would like to post a picture of it over in ABPW, but don't know if it's ethical to do so.... can someone here help me out and tell me??? The design of the lamp is copywritten by the owner, and I am working from his copywritten drawings and photos. I would never produce the lamp in violation of the rightsholder, but would like to post a pic, and am not sure if even that would be okay... Anway, the prototype is made of Doug Fir and Claro Walnut, with a guilded roof. If all goes well, I hope to produce them in lots of 10 to

50 at a time. I already have dreams of jigs, dancing jigs, in my head!

And, I've been wondering ever since. OK, the lame is a copywrite design. And, you want to make a heap of them.

BUT, are you doing this with the consent of the copywrite owner? Or what? You seem awful worried about posting a picture, yet don't seem worried about making multiples. If it was me, and on the up & up, I'd just ask for permission to post a picture, if I wasn't sure about it. Inquiring mins want to know. What's the story?

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

JOAT responds:

Ya can't always find the guy who designed something. But if he's a copywriter, don't worry about it. You need to find the guy who holds the copyright (AKA rights to the copy).

AFAIK, posting a photo of a project you've made from someone else's copyrighted plan is just fine. You can't post the plan, of course, nor can you make multiples for sale unless you have permission, but every plan I've ever seen was meant to be built by someone other than just the copyright holder.

On top of which, suits are rare and are usually for fairly egregious violations where there is monetary damage, which this would not produce.

Charlie Self "I think we agree, the past is over." George W. Bush

Reply to
Charlie Self

Folks -

Nope, sorry if I was unclear in my post... I was hired by the creator (and copywrite holder) of the lamp to build a prototype of his design. I can't post pics of the lamp, I *did* ask, because he still wants to keep it under wraps. I will, of course, respect his wishes. If he hires me to produce "X" # of the lamps, and we can agree on costs and a production schedule, then great... If not, I've at least picked up some work, and learned something in the process.

I'd love to send a pic of the lamp to "current work" in FWW - it's *really* beautiful.... but for now...

Hope this clears things up... Thanks for your continued interest, and if'n I *can* post in the future, I will...

John Moorhead

50 at a time. I already have dreams of jigs, dancing jigs, in my head!

And, I've been wondering ever since. OK, the lame is a copywrite design. And, you want to make a heap of them.

BUT, are you doing this with the consent of the copywrite owner? Or what? You seem awful worried about posting a picture, yet don't seem worried about making multiples. If it was me, and on the up & up, I'd just ask for permission to post a picture, if I wasn't sure about it. Inquiring mins want to know. What's the story?

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
John Moorhead

Note: the term is "copyright" as in the 'right to copy'.

Secondly, if you were 'hired' to build the prototype, then it, and all the rights associated with it, belong to the party who hired you. There's a whole separate section of the copyright law swamp, dealing specifically with "work done for hire'.

Wise man! :)

yuppers.

Aww, you're no fun at all! You understand the issues, _and_ 'play within the rules'.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Tue, Feb 8, 2005, 5:31pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.splinter.net (John=A0Moorhead) says: I've at least picked up some work,

Okey, dokey.

Hmm, puzzling in a way tho. If I knew enough to design somethng, I'd want to make the prototype myself. On the other hand, if I designed something, and didn't really know what I was doing... Ah well, different strokes, etc.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

might be that the designer is gifted in design and marketing, but worse at wood than I am.. *g* I prefer to think that he feels that John's skills will make his lamp "shine"...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis