Ping - JLoomis

What kind of siding is that?
http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw/117923-1.jpg
Sonny

Looks like standard T1-11 to me. All wood, roughsawn face, 8" spacing.
-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yeah, I thought so. I was to recommend using a good dose of fungicide in his primer and/or paint. I've had T1-11 on my garage for 20 years with no problem, until recently.
Seems a fungus or mold is growing from/on it, now.... about 25 - 35 small, wart-like growths on several panels. Don't know if this problem is the result of or associated with spring storms.... the problem started showing itself late spring. Today, I sent pics to the local Prof, at the University, and local Benjamin Moore to try to ID it and ask for recommendations for treating it. Benjamin Moore, as per phone description, suggested I may have to treat it, specifically, aggressively, prior to repainting. The guy thought it might be a mold. The paint job is due for repainting, also, so this may have some connection to the mold/fungus (whichever) problem. Here are the pics I sent to the Prof and BM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/ . I hope to get a reply tomorrow.
Sonny
"Sonny" wrote:

in his primer and/or paint. I've had T1-11 on my garage for 20 years with no problem, until recently.
Seems a fungus or mold is growing from/on it, now.... about 25 - 35 small, wart-like growths on several panels. Don't know if this problem is the result of or associated with spring storms.... the problem started showing itself late spring. Today, I sent pics to the local Prof, at the University, and local Benjamin Moore to try to ID it and ask for recommendations for treating it. Benjamin Moore, as per phone description, suggested I may have to treat it, specifically, aggressively, prior to repainting. The guy thought it might be a mold. The paint job is due for repainting, also, so this may have some connection to the mold/fungus (whichever) problem. Here are the pics I sent to the Prof and BM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/ . I hope to get a reply tomorrow. --------------------------------- Don't be surprised if you end up tenting the building and treating with an ozone generator.
Lew

I can tell you right now it's fungus/mold/lichen. ;)
You put off repainting too long. See the cracks in the paint? They allowed spores to put down roots. Douche the area with a spray of 10% Clorox water. Allow to dry well (days). Mix a packet of fungicide in the paint you use to repaint the shed. Problem solved.
P.S: Repaint sooner next time.
-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air -- Ralph Waldo Emerson