Ping for Robin Lee

Page 2 of 2

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/system/index.html If these are what you need let me know and I could post them to the US. Or give me a list of questions to ask an I'll phone and ask them. Connor

--
http://www.connoraston.com

Oh, just _great_! Bloody Liberals. First it's our guns, now it's our chisels which have to be registered. When will it end? ;)
- Better Living Through Denial ------------ http://diversify.com Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases
On 27/01/2006 12:55 PM, wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LOT-5-Lie-Nielsen-Mortise-Chisels-in-Hornbeam_W0QQitemZ6246653530QQcategoryZ13871QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
What does it mean:
The blades (4-1/2" to 7" long) are rectangular in cross section and TAPER 1/16" from the shoulder to the bevel. The heavy hardwood handles (6-1/2" long) have steel hoops top and bottom and a thick leather shock washer next to the bolster.
I know a bevel is on the cutting edge, but where is a shoulder on a mortise chisel and why are they tapering something?
Alan
arw01 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the 'shoulder' is where the blade attaches to the handle, even if there isn't a appriciable ledge there. Presumably they are tapered this way so the edges of the blade don't bind on the edges if the mortise when you're chopping one really deep. The downside being that this contact helps register the cut properly.
{} <- handle /\ <- blade -- <- edge
vs.
() || --
<snip>

Hi -
We'll get around to making chisels (eventually....!). So many tools....so little time.
At the moment - we're still evaluating priorities in our R&D area every quarter, and while chisels are on the horizon - they're still pretty far off. We're starting to evaluate possible sources for forgings, and still have to investigate grinding (we'd do that ourselves).
We hear you though.....
Cheers -
Rob Lee
Robin Lee wrote:

Thanks for the answer...dissappointing as it was! :-)
There does, however, seem to be some disagreement as to whether or not the Sorbys you currently sell are really Imperial/fractional, or just sized to the nearest metric equivalent and labeled fractionally. Can you verify either way?
Thanks again!

Hi -
Just measured 'em myself.... they're Imperial sized. The metric measurements are converted...
Cheers -
Rob