Ping Domino guys

Page 1 of 2
Thinking about a retirement gift from me to me. Any feedback on this unit?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150984502400?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Anything missing?
Larry
Add pictures here
✖

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150984502400?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
I would find out exactly which cutters come with the deal and what shape the are in. You want to make sure of what you are getting. The cutters do last a very long time. I use the standard 5mm bit the most and have cut in excess of 5,000 mortises with that bit alone. The unit has indexing built in however I use mine more like a plate joiner then any other way. I have all but quit using pocket hole construction given this superior method of putting together a joint. I would not thin twice about replacing it should that need come up.
Looks like everything is there except the Festool dust extractor. :-). You will need some type of dust extraction to clear out the mortises that it cuts.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 17:57:15 -0800 (PST), "Gramp's shop"

Oh, I saw the subject line and thought you wanted to order a pizza.
Add pictures here
✖

There is an 's on the end of that one... one of those context things that can get you into trouble in some cases, like beaver, head, hug...
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 25, 7:15 am, "John Grossbohlin"

I haven't seen this tool before, so I google'd it and it looks impressive. If I understand it correctly, its basically a high-end biscuit-type plug joiner. What I don't get is why is the dust extractor such an expensive option. Does it blow air into the mortise and then vacuums it out as well?
Add pictures here
✖

If you're asking about the dust collector, it's as high end as the Domino tool itself. Much quieter that your regular screaming beast, very effective dust collection, tool activated power on function, very effective dust filtering.
Naturally, there are others will forgo the cost for a $98 two hundred decibel animal. All I can suggest is to try on of the Festool dust collectors on their thirty day return guarantee program and then decide.
Also, Festool offers a package reduction price if you buy the Domino and the dust collector at the same time.
ONE OTHER THING ~ The Domino puts ANY biscuit joiner to shame and COMPLETELY replaces the need for a biscuit joiner. Some might disagree with that statement, but I'm not one of them.
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/26/2013 7:58 AM, Dave wrote:

Yeahbut... Will it undercut door jambs on your next reflooring job?<g>
Add pictures here
✖
"Unquestionably Confused" wrote:

That's why Fein exists.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/26/2013 8:42 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Ah, so many ways to skin the cat. Have used the Bosch multi-tool as well. Didn't have it when I started the project and first used the PC-557 to undercut some jambs. Multi-tool will do it but not as quickly and cleanly as the 557.
Multi-tool? Gotta be one of my best tool buys in years. Find myself using it all the time. Got the 12v cordless one.
Add pictures here
✖

And by the time you guys have found those power tools, unwrapped the cord, put on the proper blade, etc., I've already undercut the jamb with my Japanese pull saw and didn't even scare the cat. :-)
--

-MIKE-

✖
"-MIKE-" wrote in message

And by the time you guys have found those power tools, unwrapped the cord, put on the proper blade, etc., I've already undercut the jamb with my Japanese pull saw and didn't even scare the cat. :-)
Great idea. I never thought of that for a pull saw. WW

✖

Yabbut, what fun is that? Scaring the cat always makes me laugh. Was clipping a fingernail a little while back. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a piece of clipped fingernail hit my cat in the nose.
She did a double reverse back flip and disappeared for the next ten minutes. I laughed so hard it hurt.
Add pictures here
✖
"-MIKE-" wrote:

Try to sand out an inside corner with that Japanese pull saw.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/26/13 2:33 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

You can sand inside corners with a Domino!? I'm impressed. :-p
--

-MIKE-

✖
On 1/26/2013 3:04 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I was thinking it, but ...
Nice to have a real belly laugh on occasion ... thanks! :)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
"-MIKE-" wrote:

You buy them books and they eat the covers, whatcha gonna do?
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
From the OP:
I got a lot out of this thread, friends, and am getting a major itch for a Domino in my shop. The eBay unit that sparked my current interest is now up to $710 with two days to go. By the time this closes, I expect the price to be within a hair of retail for a new unit. I'm willing to invest $600 or so ... but will have to figure out a project for which a Domino will be "indispensible" in order to justify $900 plus.
Larry
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 09:29:22 -0600, Unquestionably Confused

There's something more important to consider when comparing any biscuit joiner to a Domino. The Domino is used primarily for joining *and* alignment fully in both those categories. The biscuit joiner is more geared to alignment IMO and not nearly as suited for joining strength.
Add pictures here
✖
"Unquestionably Confused" wrote:

Bosch is nice but it's no Fein, IMHO.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖

If will do that as well as a plate joiner.
Add pictures here
✖