Ping Domino guys

Thinking about a retirement gift from me to me. Any feedback on this unit?

missing?

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

I would find out exactly which cutters come with the deal and what shape the are in. You want to make sure of what you are getting. The cutters do last a very long time. I use the standard 5mm bit the most and have cut in excess of 5,000 mortises with that bit alone. The unit has indexing built in however I use mine more like a plate joiner then any other way. I have all but quit using pocket hole construction given this superior method of putting together a joint. I would not thin twice about replacing it should that need come up.

Looks like everything is there except the Festool dust extractor. :-). You will need some type of dust extraction to clear out the mortises that it cuts.

Reply to
Leon

Oh, I saw the subject line and thought you wanted to order a pizza.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If, as he says, that he used the machine for only one project (and is wasn't abused), then that's a good deal. Since I've gotten my Domino - I've rarely used anything but floating tenons. I'll swear by it ....

I see he doesn't list the 6 mm cutter, and that's a part that I've found necessary. Also I've occasionally used 4 mm Dominoes. They will come in handy.

Reply to
joeljcarver

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 21:18:02 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Yes, that concerns me a bit and suggests that he's bought the bits and the Dominos separately from the kit. Or else, he's broken/lost/chipped those two missing bits.

Also, I couldn't tell from the picture if it was the older pin model or the newer paddle model of Domino.

Initially, it's cheaper in the beginning to buy the systainer set of Dominos which also includes a full bit set of Domino cutter sizes 4mm,

5mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm.

Dave

There is an 's on the end of that one... one of those context things that can get you into trouble in some cases, like beaver, head, hug...

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I haven't seen this tool before, so I google'd it and it looks impressive. If I understand it correctly, its basically a high-end biscuit-type plug joiner. What I don't get is why is the dust extractor such an expensive option. Does it blow air into the mortise and then vacuums it out as well?

Reply to
rlz

I see that the bidding is pretty active =97 and there's a bit less than

4 days left ....

Let us know if you won the auction.

Also, there's a lot of available on-line tutorials, videos, and other information on using the Domino to its full potential.

Reply to
joeljcarver

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 09:22:57 -0800 (PST), rlz

If you're asking about the dust collector, it's as high end as the Domino tool itself. Much quieter that your regular screaming beast, very effective dust collection, tool activated power on function, very effective dust filtering.

Naturally, there are others will forgo the cost for a $98 two hundred decibel animal. All I can suggest is to try on of the Festool dust collectors on their thirty day return guarantee program and then decide.

Also, Festool offers a package reduction price if you buy the Domino and the dust collector at the same time.

ONE OTHER THING ~ The Domino puts ANY biscuit joiner to shame and COMPLETELY replaces the need for a biscuit joiner. Some might disagree with that statement, but I'm not one of them.

Reply to
Dave

Yeahbut... Will it undercut door jambs on your next reflooring job?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

And doing many things a biscuit jointer can't do. I don't own a Domino, but I'd have to agree, seeing the many uses Leon comes up for his.

Hell, if we took away Leon's SketchUp and Domino he'd have to get a job on a cable DIY show. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

------------------------------------------------ That's why Fein exists.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Ah, so many ways to skin the cat. Have used the Bosch multi-tool as well. Didn't have it when I started the project and first used the PC-557 to undercut some jambs. Multi-tool will do it but not as quickly and cleanly as the 557.

Multi-tool? Gotta be one of my best tool buys in years. Find myself using it all the time. Got the 12v cordless one.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

And by the time you guys have found those power tools, unwrapped the cord, put on the proper blade, etc., I've already undercut the jamb with my Japanese pull saw and didn't even scare the cat. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 09:29:22 -0600, Unquestionably Confused

There's something more important to consider when comparing any biscuit joiner to a Domino. The Domino is used primarily for joining

*and* alignment fully in both those categories. The biscuit joiner is more geared to alignment IMO and not nearly as suited for joining strength.
Reply to
Dave

And by the time you guys have found those power tools, unwrapped the cord, put on the proper blade, etc., I've already undercut the jamb with my Japanese pull saw and didn't even scare the cat. :-)

Great idea. I never thought of that for a pull saw. WW

Reply to
WW

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 09:52:04 -0700, "WW"

Yabbut, what fun is that? Scaring the cat always makes me laugh. Was clipping a fingernail a little while back. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a piece of clipped fingernail hit my cat in the nose.

She did a double reverse back flip and disappeared for the next ten minutes. I laughed so hard it hurt.

Reply to
Dave

't seen this tool before, so I google'd it and it looks >impressive. If I u= nderstand it correctly, its basically a high-end >biscuit-type plug joiner.= What I don't get is why is the dust >extractor such an expensive option. D= oes it blow air into the mortise >and then vacuums it out as well? If you'r= e asking about the dust collector, it's as high end as the Domino tool itse= lf. Much quieter that your regular screaming beast, very effective dust col= lection, tool activated power on function, very effective dust filtering. N= aturally, there are others will forgo the cost for a $98 two hundred decibe= l animal. All I can suggest is to try on of the Festool dust collectors on = their thirty day return guarantee program and then decide. Also, Festool of= fers a package reduction price if you buy the Domino and the dust collector= at the same time

ONE OTHER THING ~ The Domino puts ANY biscuit joiner to shame and COMPLETEL= Y replaces the need for a biscuit joiner. Some might disagree with that sta= tement, but I'm not one of them.

I'd argue with the above statement. The plate joiner is very good at align= ing and edge gluing boards and plywood. Making a door panel, cabinet side,= use the plate joiner. Aligns and adds a little strength. Extra strength = not needed since its edge gluing, which are strong enough with nothing extr= a. Domino probably does a fine job too. If you use one of the wide hole w= idths you can not worry about exactly where you put the holes. But the pla= te joiner is quicker, lighter, easier to use. Its main purpose is to edge = join boards.

Reply to
russellseaton1

If will do that as well as a plate joiner.

Reply to
Leon

Take those away and I would explode.

Reply to