PING Dave Balderstone, eh.

Here's the answer to your problem.

Makes me almost willing to move back up to snow country. LMAO That's an outright lie. Life in NC is gooood. Be even better if all those damn people from New Yawk and New Joisey would move to Florida, instead of here.

JOAT IThere is no vaccine against stupidity!

Reply to
J T

That's one reason I didn't move to N.C. Seems I'm a damn yankee in their eyes. Too prejudiced. Good pig, though. Tom, happy but dry in Tucson. ...water...

Reply to
tom

Fri, Feb 17, 2006, 7:22pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@msn.com (tom) doth spuriously claim: That's one reason I didn't move to N.C. Seems I'm a damn yankee in their eyes. Too prejudiced. Good pig, though. Tom, happy but dry in Tucson. ..water...

Hell, I've been here since '79, and I still get asked, "You're not from around here, are you?". I just tell 'em, "Yeah, I'm from right up the road.". They're not prejudiced around here, just talk decent to them, and they'll talk decent to you. The only problem I have is when I order white milk at a fast food drive thru, some people have a hard time understanding what I want. Them damn New Yawkers and Joiseyites act and talk like they're still up north, that's not the way to blend in. A lot of them buy those ugly Ford four door "pickups", made from a Ford Explorer, and think that makes them "country". Then they complain that people are "unfriendly", and don't want to talk to them.

JOAT IThere is no vaccine against stupidity!

Reply to
J T

Life in NC is gooood. Be even better if all those damn people from New Yawk and New Joisey would move to Florida, instead of here.

Are you saying people actually move to NC. ???

Reply to
Rick Samuel

(snip) --A lot of them buy those ugly Ford four door "pickups", made from a

Hey JT, I think you're describing the difference between city folks who move to the country and country folks who grew up in the country, not necessarily just New Yorkers or New Jerseyites. 'Round here, we wave at our neighbors, for no reason other than to do it. They wave back. The newer neighbors, who have clearly moved here from the city, often just looked puzzled if you wave at them, as if they're wondering if they know you, or you know them, and if not, why are they being waved at. As if it has to be something more than a simple "hey, neighbor" . They do complain that people don't want to talk to them, but they don't understand why. I know why. They move from the city to the country, build their houses, close together and close to the road, and try to force the area into a "subdivision". They come and build houses next to a farm, then try to get rid of the farmer because they can't stand the smell, and it's reducing

*their* property value. They move to the country and complain about the neighbors who may have a little junk in their yard, as most do. Remnants of old trucks, tractors, farm equipment, old barns, silos, etc are now "eyesores" to them, and they push to have those items removed from the landscape as it affects *their* property value. They almost expect help from their "country" neighbors when a problem arises. Ever see someone try to snowblow a 200ft. gravel driveway with a snowblower designed to do a concrete drive in town that would hold 4 cars max? Funny. Real funny. Until they come almost demanding you help them out with your tractor.... 'Round here, they are refered to as IME's, as short for seemingly most important things in their life "I" and "Me".... and they "complain that people are "unfriendly" and don't want to talk to them.". IME country folk help each other, city folk in the country help themselves... hopefully they'll get it figured out soon enough. That will blend them in..--dave
Reply to
Dave Jackson

Sat, Feb 18, 2006, 8:52am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@moment.net (Rick=A0Samuel) stumbles in mumbling: Are you saying people actually move to NC. ???

You're not from around here, are you?

JOAT IThere is no vaccine against stupidity!

Reply to
J T

Sat, Feb 18, 2006, 2:57pm (EST+5): snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net (Dave=A0Jackson) doth sayeth: Hey JT,

Reply to
J T

I've been somewhat torn over this issue myself... doing someone a favor and they insist on paying you somehow. It's too easy to say that they just don't "get it" or "blend in".

I'm a movie buff and scenes/characters from movies stick with me when I contemplate "real life". There was a Robert Duvall/Kevin Costner flick named Open Range (excellent movie BTW) and in it, Robert Duvall brings his wounded friend to the town doctor. When Duvall tries to pay for the doctor's services, the doctor turns him down for perfectly valid reasons. Duvall says something like "Please take it ma'am, we insist on paying our own way."

It reinforced what I already knew... people have different views on what's important. The view that one "pays his own way" is just as valid as the view that we sometimes wish to do for people without accepting payment.

The way I handle such a situation is like this...

If I do a kindly favor for a someone that's either a stranger or a casual acquaintance and they offer payment, I'll decline, telling them that it was my pleasure. If they insist on payment, I'll accept it with a sincere thank-you.

The way I look at it, if I'm REALLY the swell guy I think I am, then I'll ALSO respect THEIR values in the matter.

Joe Barta

P.S. To the somewhat windy and slightly tortured Mr Watson, I humbly ask for your deference as I post more "shit".

Reply to
Joe Barta

Maybe everyone doesn't want to "blend in", and maybe his wish to thank you monetarily is equal to your wish to do it gratis.

As far as the donation for your services, instead of being vindictive next time you see the guy, donate the money to a charity. You'll feel good for doing two kindnesses with one act and the brokedown guy feels he rewarded you for your help.

RicodJour

Sat, Feb 18, 2006, 7:44pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@apk.net (Joe=A0Barta) doth burble: If I do a kindly favor for a someone that's either a stranger or a casual acquaintance and they offer payment, I'll decline, telling them that it was my pleasure. If they insist on payment, I'll accept it with a sincere thank-you.

Depends. See my response to the next post.

JOAT IThere is no vaccine against stupidity!

Reply to
J T

Sat, Feb 18, 2006, 12:14pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@worldemail.com (RicodJour) doth burble: Maybe everyone doesn't want to "blend in", and maybe his wish to thank you monetarily is equal to your wish to do it gratis. As far as the donation for your services, instead of being vindictive next time you see the guy, donate the money to a charity. You'll feel good for doing two kindnesses with one act and the brokedown guy feels he rewarded you for your help.

Appaarently I wasn't clear enough. The guy was an ass. Gave the impression he thought I was "below" ham, that he was buying my services, and that I "expected" payment. I told him the first time he offered, to forget it; but, he just kept on, and on, and on. I don't need crap like that. If the guy hadn't been such an ass, I might have told him to just give me a buck, and then we'd both have been happy. I repeat, if I were to recognize him walking again, I'd pass him by. I would make an exception in a blizzard, or typhoon - probably.

JOAT IThere is no vaccine against stupidity!

Reply to
J T

At the risk of being nothing more than an annoying PIA, I would like to comment that it's very common to believe someone thinks a particular thing when in fact they are thinking nothing of the sort. I'm frequently surprised at how bad I am at reading people sometimes.

Don't know you, don't know the other guy... but my own experience tells me that it's very possible his thinking was nothing like what you believe. Sometimes what we truly believe are negatives coming from other people are actually our own little demons getting the best of us.

Keeping that in mind, before I start thinking that I don't like what someone else is thinking, I instead start thinking that maybe he's not thinking what I think he's thinking. :-)

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

Sun, Feb 19, 2006, 4:07am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@apk.net (Joe=A0Barta) doth burbleth: instead start thinking that maybe he's not thinking what I think he's thinking.

I don't know what he was thinking, and I don't care. What I "know" is what "I" was thinking - that he was acting like he felt he was superior to me. I've kown plenty of people, but not many with crappy attitudes like his.

JOAT IThere is no vaccine against stupidity!

Reply to
J T

Well, when I said prejudiced, I meant against black people. At least around where I was looking at houses, near Carolina Sky Sports (Fredricksburg or Louisburg, I can't remember). Tom

Reply to
tom

So what does it say that Balderstone gave no response/wave to this thread :)

-------------------- Steve Jensen Abbotsford B.C. snipped-for-privacy@canada.mortise.com chopping out the mortise. BBS'ing since 1982 at 300 bps. Surfing along at 19200 bps since 95. WW'ing since 1985 LV Cust #4114

Nothing catchy to say, well maybe..... WAKE UP - There are no GODs you fools!

Reply to
Scorp

Tue, Feb 21, 2006, 6:17pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@direct.ca (Scorp) doth burble: So what does it say that Balderstone gave no response/wave to this thread :)

I know not, you'll have to ask Dave. Peraps he figures his wife couldn't control such a powerful machine.