PING: Charles Self

Page 3 of 3

Larry Blanchard wrote:

about the size of a desk and did about as much.     creak,     jo4hn

FYI: jstar, which comes with many Linux distros and is on this account's FreeBSD system, is Joe Allen's joe wordstar mode. Free. GPL
jstar(1): Joe's Own Editor - Linux man page http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/jstar.1.html
Robert Sawyer's agrees with you on WordPerfect WordStar: A Writer's Word Processor URL: http://www.sfwriter.com/wordstar.htm
Contrarian said:

There's a lot of really well written software available GPL/GNU. Our customers all run MS systems, however, so we have to concentrate on that realm of bizarreness.

Never thought about it enough to write an essay on the subject, but I agree with what he says. I am embarrassed to admit that most of my work is done on MS systems, and I find myself spending more time looking at the keyboard to find those insipid function keys these days than actually typing. ;-)
Thanks for the info,
Greg G.

Gnoppix. Ubuntu. Uhuru!

Hey, guys! Please work out a way to take my name off this thing. I keep looking to see what might be wanted, and I don't even know what you're writing about some 93% of the time.

I have discovered that proper tools for proper jobs are required in all fields. I spent a year's worth of 'a couple-of-hours-a-day' messing with all kinds of web design kits. I finally borrowed a copy of Adobe GoLive...2 weeks later I bought it as the one I evaluated had been superceded by 2 versions. It helped to read the manual in order to get the text scaling and auto justifying (with hyphenation *g*) etc. happening.
A lot of time was spent on previewing and resolving the gamma conflicts.
The site has been rock solid and updates are a snap.
I don't work for Adobe, just a happy Go-Live customer.
Rob
Greg G. wrote:

Layers are what you should be using now that CSS support has matured in all browsers. CSS support is not perfect in all browsers, but I have found that it is adequate to do what I want for my personal website. You can specify if a layer has a fixed or variable size, and you can specify if it's location is fixed or dynamic.

I have to disagree with designing page layout based on tables. This restricts your page layout to be only what you can accomplish with table tags. You should only use tables when you need to present data in a table fashion, but do not design your entire page around tables. However, if you don't want to use CSS, then you can use tables for page layout. However, using tables over CSS for page layout is analogous to driving a riding lawn mower to work instead of using a car. Both get you there, but one of them does a much better job.

This is important, as not everyone can see fonts that you may have installed on your computer.
Take a look at my site.
The big advantage of CSS is being able to restructure your site without modifying HTML code. My site has a header at the top, links on the left, and content on the right. If I decided to put the links on the right and remove the header, I can do this for every page on my website just by editing 1 css file.
If you want to get a feel for how powerful CSS is, visit http://www.csszengarden.com Look at the various pages that people have submitted to see how the layouts change by only modifying the 1 CSS file. People do create lots of images that are defined in the CSS files to achieve their own look.
--
Brad Curfman
http://www.curfman.net
Brad Curfman wrote:

I just went back to the previous thread on your site and saw that Dave already pointed you to this site. When I first stumbled upon this CSS goldmine, I spent a few hours learning basic CSS. Most of my learning came by modifying the css file to see the effect.
I understand that not everyone wants to take the time to learn something new, but if you're serious about layout on your site, you really need to use CSS.
Nvu is a free WYSIWYG HTML editor with CSS support. It isn't as polished as Dreamweaver or Frontpage, but it is free.
I only use a text editor with syntax coloring (TextPad) for modifying my site. I've been writing HTML for over 10 years now, and know enough for what I need to use. I know enough CSS that I can write it without a CSS editor, but I do consult CSS references for help when doing something new.
I'm not one of those people who brag about using a text editor and mock those who use tools such as Dreamweaver. For the amount of HTML authoring I do, those tools aren't necessary. I used Dreamweaver when building a website for one of my clients a few years back and loved it - especially the template feature. Now, all of the web application development I do for clients is back end Java stuff, so the only UI work I get to do now is my personal site.
--
Brad Curfman
http://www.curfman.net
Brad Curfman said:

It wasn't clear, but I meant explicitly positioned layers. i.e. - top = 50 left = 35 It's been a problem here, but only when font sizes change due to bad equivalencies or user configuration.
FWIW,
Greg G.