Ping Bill, in Indiana; Anyone near Waverly, Ohio?

Page 2 of 3
On 6/29/11 8:49 PM, Leon wrote:

Note he said he needed the hitch first.
--
Froz...

@gm.nospam.ail.com says...

Why would he need a hitch to rent a truck?
On 6/29/11 10:19 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

It is listed above as part of the cost of getting a trailer.
Not making excuses for Bill's over thinking of everything.
--
Froz...

------------------------------- Based on 500 miles usage, 10 MPG,and $4/gal fuel cost, you have about $200 total fuel cost.
Rent truck with a "Tommy Gate" mid week, allow $100/day, less than $300 total.
Do some night time driving, you're on the clock.
Less than $500 gets the job done, if you WANT to do it.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Was quoted $49 + .79/mile.

"WANT" is relative. I will want it more when I am more ready to use it. I built my DP baseboard and assembled my DP and BS this summer. I'm ready to get going on my lights and painting. Admittedly I got a bit neglectful while I worried about this TS which I never touched or heard. I just dated it...and things didn't work out. Maybe if I had touched her outfeed table things mitre be different... I'll miss her, she had a nice looking fence.
Bill
On 6/29/2011 8:09 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

Note, you need a hitch to pull the trailer.
@swbelldotnet says...

If he's got a 16 foot lift gate truck then why does he need a trailer?
RE: Subject
Bill, the "window shopper" strikes again.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Hey, I had the high bid $880 yesterday. It was an honest bid. I did all the leg work, computed the costs. Even shared the experience. Sorry to disappoint.
Leon wrote:

Thanks for reminding me about that Leon. I WAS able to locate 22' lift gate trucks (Penske), but they were not available for "one-way" rental. The rental price was some nominal amout + .79cents/mile. Of course, at almost 500 miles, the latter, along with gas, might be significant. As you may have read, Swingman described your efforts at moving a saw on a mobile base using a lift gate truck as practically effortless! One thing is certain, next time I see a saw, I will not have to search for the answer to the question, as I have done more than once before, "HOW can I move that saw by tomorrow?"!
For the saw auctioned today, I wasn't even sure how I was going to get it onto the liftgate by myself so I was tentatively chose the plan which left me with a trailer hitch.
By the way, Swingman's words weren't wasted on me--mobile bases wouldn't ship for 5 days--and that was too vague for my purposes now.
Bill
On 6/29/2011 10:51 PM, Bill wrote:

Damn Bill, you did not tell them you were coming did you? LOL
t might be cheaper for you to fly to Houston, rent the PV rental truck and go from here, deliver the saw to your home and fly the PZ rental people up to your house to return their truck! IIRC I had to pay 15~25 cents per mile, still high but 79 cents per mile is robbery!
Leon wrote: IIRC I had to pay 15~25

The difference in price may reflect a business versus a non-business rental. Of course, I am in the later category. The trucks with lift gates are owned by the local units--at least at Penske. For just driving a truck back and forth across, 79 cents a mile is reasonable enough. Clearly it is not as suitable for a long trip. Next time I ask I will appear more shocked when I am quoted a .79 mile rate, and I'll tell 'em Leon sent me! : )
Thanks, Bill
On 6/29/2011 10:51 PM, Bill wrote:

One person can load a Unisaw, on a mobile base, easily with a pickup truck equipped with a Tommylift tail gate.
For a box truck, where the bed is much higher off the ground, two are ideal ... one to push the lift gate button, and one to steady the extension table (which is hanging off the lift) for the longer trip up.
Neither person has to lift anything.

A mobile base is almost a necessity for most of us with a cabinet saw, unless your shop is so big that you'll only move it once/in.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

Thanks for mentioning that part of the process. I had wondered about it. In a pinch, I could probably find someone to push the button for me! ;)

I will be sure to have a mobile base.
Bill
"Bill" wrote
In visiting the site you sent, I started getting exciting over the Delta Unisaws...then I noticed that they all appear to use 3-phase power (which in retrospect makes sense...). All things considered, I think that stops my further consideration of them. Still, thanks again for your thoughtfulness!
It could be worth getting one, if you were to sell the motor on it, and get a new single phase motor, or have a shop rewind yours, if you can find a shop. Saws like these are worth a good bit more than a newer lightweight.
-- Jim in NC
Morgans wrote:

Thanks for the information Jim.
BTW, you were the person who "sold me" on the idea of building the DP base board with four 4" casters and legs a few months ago. It got finished this week and has a DP sitting on it. Building it taught me a lot of lessons and gave me some practice with my router. Are the casters likely to get a flat side if I let the DP rest on them for long?
I enjoy that I can move it effortlessly with one hand. Along with the baseboard I'm sure it is close to 300#. If it were to tip it is unlikely that I could catch it so I'm glad I don't have to move the DP with a dolly!
Bill

How do you secure it once you get it situated, Bill?

I think you meant to say "hand truck", dincha? What you built was a dolly.
And while we're at it, one stands -on- a podium and -at/behind- a lectern. </pet peeves>
-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson
Larry Jaques wrote:

Morgans gets most of the credit for giving me the idea. It has four 3 1/2" (3.75" long), 3/8" carriage bolts each of which screws into a threaded insert in the bottom of the frame/base. These allow the bolts to go 3" into the frame (twobafour). Since the bottom of the wheels extend about 1 1/4" below the frame, if the screws are tightened enough the unit stands on its wheels. If they are extended more than 1 1/4" then the unit will rest on the carriage bolts. I know you get the idea but I will post a picture after my wife "fixes" our camera.
I haven't actually tried resting the unit the carriage bolts yet. I had no difficulty testing the DP with the unit on wheels. The force of gravity along with the friction of the concrete floor is enough to keep the unit from moving. When I was finished I just moved it 6 feet off to the side, with ease, swept up, and moved it back just as easy! I under-estimated how much I would enjoy the ease of pushing it across the garage floor! I am still respectful of the fact that it could easily harm person or property if it fell over, so I don't want to suggest that I push or pull it around in a lackadaisical manner. When it finds it's place I will slide some wooden blocks underneath the frame for insurance (although this may be redundant because if a leg/bolt gives, it will fall to a wheel). Trust me that I'll try not to under-do it!

Type "appliance dolly" into a search engine and see what comes up! I'm sure you are correct. BTW, I like to think I built a "mobile base"! I forgot to try riding it down the driveway. :)

Didn't know that either! Gosh!
I'm on Day 2 of assembling the BS now. Day 1 involved assembling it's Delta mobile base, unpacking, cleaning and reading the directions. The BS assembly work for Day 2 is about to commence. I'm going to go check out the current price of the TS being auctioned that Sonny referred me to.. What is your summer project?
Bill

If you chose wisely, they won't get flats. The softer the worse.

Are the bolts long enough to double-nut and use a socket on an electric drill to run up and down? It'll save you a lot of time and hassle if you do it that way.
Well, looky there! They're selling mobile bases again. http://www.harborfreight.com/300-lb-capacity-mobile-base-95288.html Instead of the knobs, double nuts would run those stop pad bolts down in under a minute.

I believe we can trust you on that. <titter>

I think that might have been fun, but the traffic would be hell, seein' as you didn't provide a hand brake on the thing.

It amazes me that 99% of people don't seem to know that difference or the one between dolly and hand truck.

DECLUTTERING the house and shop. I'm knee deep in paperwork and packratted items, so anything after that is gravy. <sigh>
-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck
Larry Jaques wrote:

Here's mine: I think I'll be ok. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100018182/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053

There are probably a few things I would do differently the next time around. I learned a lot by doing the project. For instance, I learned that Brad point bits are great!
<snip>
Bill