pine flooring, please help!

Got as far as sanding my 80 year old pine floors and discovered severe pet stains. I really don't know what to do in terms of finishing.
1) Should I use a darker stain to blend in the pet stains? 2) Do I need a pre-stain conditioner since it's pine? I've heard that old pine doesn't stain blotchy like new. 3) What about polyurethane coats? I've heard that even if you want a satin finish the first coat should be glossy because it's harder.
Thanks, Lauren
Many suggest all coats should be gloss then the last coat the sheen desired. Gloss doesn't have flatteners that obscure the grain.
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 01:09:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@spam.invalid (fosterla) wrote:

watch your gouges w/ pine
-