Pine Floor Question

This is a little off-topic for this group, but here goes. My house (built in 1820) has variable width pine floors, some boards a few feet wide. I recenty removed the tile floor in the bathroom and the floors below looked decent. I sanded them down but now I'm unsure if I really should leave a wood floor in a bathroom. Does anyone have an uncovered wood floor in their bathroom and if so, what are your thoughts on this? Also, I plan on using polyeurathane on the floors but are there any better options?
Rob
If this is a bathroom where children, dogs, or large groups of people bath it might be an issue over time. However, if it is reasonable adult activity I'd say enjoy that beautiful floor. Yes, poly is best.
Thanks for the responses to everyone who answered my post.
Rob
NE PA

I have hickory floors in "almost" my entire house, 3 bathrooms included. I put it in, sanded it 47 times and have 4 coats of finish on it. Lot's of work. We have a child now that loves to splash in the tub.......It scares the crap out of me! If I were doing it over again I wouldn't do it over again. I'd go with tile. I'd say poly is your best option.
Bryan

Frankly, I'm jealous as I know under all my covered floors (circa 1993) is particleboard! You can use a light stain such as honey or Puritan Pine to show off the grain, then finish with three coats of Varathane, waiting and lightly sanding between coats. If at all possible, allow more drying time than the manufacturer recommends. This will protect the wood from moisture and make it easy to damp mop and keep clean.

Point to ponder...
It's possible that wide boards with a smooth hard finish might be slippery when wet and thus be somewhat dangerous. It is often recommended that relatively small tiles with lots of grout lines be used vs. large tiles with few grout lines to get around this problem. With wide smooth boards it might be a problem... Perhaps rubber backed area rugs would keep the slipping in check and provide some protection for the floor.
John