PINE, ASH, MAPLE or something else for a Birch BookCase

Hi all, I plan to build 3 book cases to make a wall unit. I got some Birch hardwood Plywood and was going to use Pine for the trim and doors etc. Now I think Pine and Birch are not good match. However Ash and Maple are more expensive. What do you think, go with Pine or loose the pocket and go with hardwood. The other thought I had, maybe go with solid Pine and do not use plywood, but I got a very good deal from Home Depot on 3/4 regular Birch. Thanks Maxen

Besides actual birch, maple will do best to match the birch ply. That said, I've built a few pieces with birch ply & pine trim and with a light stain they look fine. I don't think ash will go well with birch ply at all.
look fine.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
I use soft maple with birch plywood. It doesn't cost Thai much more than pine.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (MaxEN) wrote in

Maple or poplar would be my choice. Poplar is usually cheaper than maple, and readily available at home centers. I would not mix pine with birch ply, I don't beleive.
John