Pin Nailer Question

Moreover, it is not uncommon for the exchange of messages between news servers to hang up for hours, or even days. You never know if you or the other have the same messages available.

Reply to
George

Well, not really. It's become a more frequent point with the popularity of the web. Usenet long preceeds the web. It's more a function of people coming along who simply don't want to embrace the conventions of usenet. Of course, utilities like google groups makes it less apparent to new users that there even are conventions, by supplying interface options that somewhat defy those conventions. Did I use the word "conventions" enough?

I have to admit, that based on my early years in usenet (I go back to '84 on the "internet"), I tend to post as you see here. I either inset my comments, or I bottom post. That was a long standing usenet convention. Thank microsoft for top posting. It's not an issue I get my jeans dirty over, though.

No - I was afraid you'd think that, and I almost edited out that comment. I specifically was not singling you out. I guess it's fair to say I leveraged this discussion to make the point, but it really is about an attitude that exists today, and not about you or your post. No offense was intended, and I hope none is taken.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yeah, I know what you mean. I started back around '89, but personally I like the new look of things, and sometimes the old conventions ought to give way as new technology opens up new ways of doing things. But there are certainly some uncomfortable transition periods.

Absolutely none. It was a good opportunity to express a general opinion. I just wanted to make sure we understood each other. There are those who have used Usenet for a long time AND they like the changes that Microsoft or Google introduce. Just preference.

Now that I probably ought to snip, before someone takes me seriously.

Have a good one, H

Reply to
hylourgos