Pin nailer

I am looking at 23ga pin nailers (PC or Grex)- any recommendations?
I have the Cadex 23.35 which I believe is the same as the Grex other than the colour. It is great. I do not why you would want to drive a pin long than 1 3/8". When I was researching what to buy I remember that there seems to be a problem with the PC not always setting the pin below the surface. Cheers, JG
http://www.floydtool.com/pin_nailer.htm

That PC problem is easily handled by touching the tip to a grinder. The tip, not the inside blade. A deft hand is a must. A little at the time.
If long pins aren't a 'must', then the Craftsman is a very good value. It is identical to the Nikle which lists for at least 100 dollars more.
So far I've seen Grex, Cadex and Max (who know how many more) all selling this identical nailer, looks like Grex is usually cheapest.

Are you sure a pin nailer will do what you want? You might want to try one at a lower price to get started... I got one from HF: Yes, I know it is surely not as nice, but it is also just $25. It does a fine job of setting pins. I may find that it does not last as long, or that it jams, or something like that, but in the meantime it has also taught me (what should have been obvious) that pins have very limited holding power. It sets the pins in just fine, but without heads the wood slides nicely off the pin. I still use it, but not for as many things as I anticipated. And I see no way that the cheap gun is at fault for the things that are limitations. Holding very small molding while glue dries, yes: Much more, no! Bob Wilson (I must not be the only person noticing this, I see a whole new category developing of "pins with heads" nailers.)

than
Cheers,
I bought a PC but sent it back. Nothing that I tried would allow the pins to set below the surface of the wood. I did plan to replace it with a Grex, but spent the money on a Veritas shoulder plane instead.

So how do you whack the pin with the shoulder plane, to set the pin beneath the surface?
Patriarch
I have a PC and it has worked great from day one. I even used it on some purple heart. Of course too much sanding does expose the pin but it is hardly noticeable.
High Score wrote:

"greywood" wrote in message

I have an "Omer", Italian, handmade, and used primarily in production environments ... pricey, does not drive anything over 3/4", but does what it supposed to do very well and is a pleasure to use.
One of the most "well made" tools that I own.
Yes, I would buy it again.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06