Pictures of WW show at College of the Redwoods

Folks -
We went up to Arcata this last weekend for a tenth anniv party for friends... Discovered that there was a WW show at College of the Redwoods in Eureka, and went! Admission was a buck... Whoooeee! Anyway, it was a good show and I have posted several sets of pictures of the exhibition in ABPW.
In the student showcase there was this weird circular jewel chest thingie or something... looked like a big hat box on leeedle tiny legs.... The "description" listed it as a "limited function chest".... and the price was $16,000. Maybe I'm a galoot, but a fair amount of "wood art" abso*uckingloootly escapes me.
Cheers!
John Moorhead
John Moorhead wrote:

I think I saw that piece over the Memorial Day weekend in Mendocino, at the Highlight Gallery. Regarding your galoot status, you have no need to be ashamed. I mentioned this piece to a friend, a pro who also went to the CR program, and is published in several books and magazines. He indicated that the builder of this particular piece has yet to 'find a following for that type of project.' Translation: no sales yet, after several years.
Looked to me to be just showin' off.
Glad you got a chance to look around. It's always good to see what they're doin' in the big leagues...
Patriarch, still playin' in the minors....
I didn't see the pic of the "thingie". Please post (or repost).
Wayne

Redwoods
in
thingie or

was
Wayne -
Sorry... I didn't take pics of the "thingie".... I guess I should have so that y'all could see the end result of having WAY too much time spent on a project.
The base was about 30" tall, and the "cabinet" looked like a big round layer cake or hat-box. It was about 16" in diameter and maybe 8" tall with a slight crown on the top. It was a light colored wood, more yellow than maple or ash.... And it was segmented, just like you would cut wedges out of a cake.
A cake would have been *MUCH* more useful in my estimation... about an hour's work, and you could eat it... as opposed to this particular exhibit... that probably took months... and with no buyer... at 16 THOUSAND dollars... you'd be eatin' this one as well. Cake would taste way better... than crow...
John

was
price
John,
Great photos! Thanks for taking the time to post them.
--
Rumpty

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 05:42:54 GMT, "John Moorhead"

John,
    What format did you post those pictures in? I am still chasing down problems with reading some images on abpw. I now have it narrowed down to my ISP (direcway) -- I can see images if I use a dial-up connection through concentric and the same machine, news server, and newsreader that I can't see through the satellite connection. I'm just curious whether it is the format or the fact that the title doesn't say "jpg" in it.
Mark -
All of the shots are .JPEG's... If you are still having trouble, I can email you shots privately in whatever format you like. Remove the....you know what.... if you want and send me your addy...
TX,
John
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 05:42:54 GMT, "John Moorhead"

wish I could have attended....