Pictures of first furniture project

Finally wrapped up my "mission style" coffee table; now it's time for something with drawers, such as a desk ..... Below are a few links to some pictures. I used "Golden Brown" Trans-Tint dye diluted in isopropyl alcohol as a stain, followed by several coats of tung oil. All in all a good learning experience, and a great excuse to buy new tools!
Cheers,
Scott
http://home.att.net/~slurban3/Photos/Test-Fit-2-480.jpg
http://home.att.net/~slurban3/Photos/Coffee-table3-480.jpg
http://home.att.net/~slurban3/Photos/Coffee-table6-480.jpg
http://home.att.net/~slurban3/Photos/Coffee-table4-480.jpg
http://home.att.net/~slurban3/Photos/Coffee-table5-480.jpg
Scott wrote:

Nice job!
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Bravo! Did you also make the couch?

I'm guessing this is the closest to the actual color. Nice.
But HEY: clean your lens first next time, eh?
P.S: Why dincha fume it?
---=====--- After all else fails, read the instructions. ---=====--- Website Design and Update http://www.diversify.com
(Scott) brought forth

Thanks, and no, I didn't. I thought about it, and really wanted to, but I found the local upholstery shops wanted $1,200+ to make cushions for one. Then I saw a set at "Lazy Boy" of all places . . . The deal clincher was the leather "mission" recliner, so I got that, the love seat and the sofa a few years ago. The sofa alone was about $800, so economy took over. Not so with the table though: $450+ is what they want for the particle board table.

Actually, that picture had a flash going, and seems to have made it lighter than actual. The photo:
http://home.att.net/~slurban3/Photos/Coffee-table3-480.jpg
is closer to actual, and was taken with a color-correct photo lamp. One wipe of dye IS lighter though, about like the photo you refer to; I used 3 wipes.

Yeah, I saw that. The flash brings out the best in things ...

Didn't want to kill all the spiders in my shop ...
As for using dyes, after many trips to Woodcraft, I settled on the dye because it most closely matched the sofa (with one wipe at the concentration I mixed). However, it is hard to hide the wipe marks with the light color; things look more homogeneous when darker, so that's what I chose. If a guy were to spray it on, THAT would be a slick way to get a smooth-looking coverage in a lighter tone, I believe. Much easier to apply in the tight corners too.
Cheers,
Scott
On 21 Feb 2004 13:15:54 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@att.net (Scott) brought forth from the murky depths:

I had a similar quote from a good upholsterer (here on the Wreck, AAMOF) so I didn't build mine yet.

Eek! Awfully red, isn't it?

You and Phully, I swear.

Wuss.
Even easier with fuming. (I really must try that some day.)
----------------------------------------- Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician! http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design ================================================
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Nice work!

"Scott" wrote in message

Very nice ... and judging from your photos, a good match to the mission style sofa in the background, which BTW, is a very interesting piece in itself. If you don't mind me asking, is that your "second furniture project"? ;>).
Also interesting is the way it appears that you "pegged" the leg joint from the end instead of the side, or is that just a decorative touch?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/13/04