Pictures are up...

Page 1 of 2
I finally figured out how to use Dad's digital camera. Sort of.
I threw up a quick and dirty shop tour page. It features, among other things, a shot of me looking like a total goober while attempting to appear all dignified and stuff. The camera decided to make my beard the same color as my hat, and that shirt isn't very flattering at all. Oh well, here it is:
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/shop.html
Also some shots of my much blathered about chess box:
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/chess-box.html
My trebuchet:
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/treb.html
There's also a page with a few shots of project highlights. Not everything I've ever done, but most of the important landmarks. I'll leave you to find it on your own.
None of this stuff makes me look like a competent woodworker, but at least you get some idea where I'm coming from. Maybe my stuff is that "complete piece of shit where the builder had that certain gleam in his eye, and you didn't have the heart to tell him what a complete piece of shit it was..." :)
You can also look at the same old, tired, pointless crap I've had there since 1997 if you're really bored.
Modem users, I'm sorry. I should have set the quality lower. These pages are taking for freaking ever to load. (I'm a modem user too.) I don't have time to re-do everything right now, so go read the Wreck while you wait. Broadband users, you suck.
Your links don't work because you've exceeded the "allocated data transfer".
dave
Silvan wrote:

yahoo's site is having a bit of a problem right now. I posted earlier that you "exceeded the allocated data transfer", then realized it isn't just your pages...
dave
Silvan wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

Well, that's just freaking great. I spent ten hours on that stupid thing, and now nobody can see it.
I have like the only ISP in America that doesn't offer any free web space whatsoever, and I'm sure not going to pay a fee to get my "look at me" drivel looked at 700 times a year.
geocities was a lot better when it was geocities. Yahoo puede morderme el culo.
It WAS working before I posted the links, BTW.
Silvan wrote:

I believe Geocities only allows so many hits in a given time frame. When I tried the link you posted earlier today I got a message saying something like "the limit had been exceeded". I just tried it now and it worked.
Jack, did you get to the chess set? I can see Michael but not the chess set...
dave
Nova wrote:

Yesterday, I couldn't get to any of them. I haven't got to try yet today, because it looks like I deleted the message with the links. Some one should post here soon copying the links. I'll try again. Don't worry, it's nothing wrong. I've seen this group bring down a site before. Some sites are limited on the daily traffic they are allowed at the free and less priced sites.
Jack
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 02:36:53 GMT, Bay Area Dave

My e-mail address is real. Feel free to use it. I know how to delete spam.
At this time I can see you, but not the chess set. that link doesn't work. So, PART of it is working! let us know when you iron out the "technical difficulties".
dave
Silvan wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

It's not me. It's them. The pages worked when I tested them this morning, to make sure I hadn't forgotten to upload anything. There's a remote chance I might have missed an image or two, because I didn't wait for all of them to load, but the HTML is definitely all there, and the links were working.
It's working! I saw your chess board/box/set. Very cool!
dave
Silvan wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

Glad you think so. :)
I guess Yeehaw is throttling me after all.
Silvan wrote:

Yup. It interrupted my browsing. "Over the limit." Bah, Humbug!
-- Mark
AH HAA, There's your problem. Your using up all your bandwidth yourself. You're going to have to quit looking at your own site. 8:)
Jack
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 00:26:19 -0400, Silvan

My e-mail address is real. Feel free to use it. I know how to delete spam.
You posting your links is what did it. I think we don't realize sometimes how many of us are here. I've seen more then one web site brought down for the day by a link here. JOATs links have brought down quite a few for the day.
Look at it as a compliment. A lot of people want to see your site.
Jack
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:56:33 -0400, Silvan

My e-mail address is real. Feel free to use it. I know how to delete spam.
Jack Forbes wrote:

Well, there could be the untold masses who saw it and had nothing to say I guess.
Well, yeah, it looks like 50 hits today. Hard to imagine that 50 hits in ~20 hours could shut me down. They must have really throttled back this free service.
Well, it's worth what I'm paying for it, I guess.
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 00:32:21 -0400, Silvan

It's just a guess, but maybe your ISP meters your account by "megabytes downloaded by people who visit your website", so if you made the photos smaller ... Yours in wild speculation, Rob.
Silvan
I suspect first, that the counters aren't always right. My studies say a lot of hits don't get counted . Second. I don't think they count hits as much as they count bandwidth, or how MUCH data is transferred. If your photo files are on the large size, and if we all looked at almost all the pictures, that's the count that matters. We could use up your quota real quick.
I think normally, you won't have that problem. If you post your link here again sometime and it does it again. Then you'll know whether or not to consider getting a different ISP.
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 00:32:21 -0400, Silvan

My e-mail address is real. Feel free to use it. I know how to delete spam.

CONFIRM. it is data-transferred. and the limit is a relatively small number of _megabytes_. I think it's something like 10mb. definitely no more than 25mb.
Three things that'll make a _big_ difference in image size: Use JPG format instead of GIF, unless you're dealing with a -very- limited set of colors (e.g. 16 or less) For JPG, use 8-bit color depth, instead of 24. (i.e., only 256 colors) 8-bit color files are *one*third* of the size of 24-bit color Dial the 'jpg quality' down a bit. a setting in the 70-75% range, vs the default 85%, doesn't make a noticable difference in the viewed image, but can reduce the file size by as much as 25%. There are no hard-and-fast rules on whats a 'right' setting for this -- it varies picture-to-picture. The thing to do is keep trying smaller and smaller values (higher compression) until there is an 'unacceptable' loss of detail. then use a 'slightly higher' setting.
I've seen reductions of a _factor_of_10_ -- 600+kb to 60kb.
snipped-for-privacy@horatio.agresource.com wrote:

Yeah, that's probably the worst thing. I know those are huge, and they're probably not compressed very well. I haven't done any web stuff in literally years, and I'm in the habit of keeping the quality at the max because I detest lossy file formats. I probably left it at its default, and it probably defaulted to the least possible compression.
Oh well. I'll probably get motivated to do something about it again in a few months. It's not like any of this stuff is earth-shatteringly important.

I've heard the only downside of JPEG is that everytime the photo is opened for editing and saved (not with a new name), some of the quality gets lost. If you work from the original, compress away...that's what it's best for.

Yea well... It's a fine site just the same! Jon