Pictures & Advice

Hey guys. I was here a few weeks ago asking about a satin finish on a cedar mantle. As most suggested, we used a gloss finish on all coats of poly except for the last and we used satin (same brand). The top of the mantle (that you can't see) is beautiful and satiny. The sides and bottom are too glossy IMO. Should we try another coat of satin or lightly sand with a super fine grit sandpaper to knock the shine off? Thanks,
Monica http://www.pbase.com/monicakm/monicas_misc&page=6
Trent asks:

Use 0000 steel wool to knock the shine off, but given all the undulations, I'd try another coat of satin first.
Charlie Self

I never use sandpaper. I always use 000 steel wool.
But, yes...that's what I'd do.
Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...
Trent
I'm sorry. I meant steel wool. Thanks
wrote:

cedar
mantle
I'd suggest you always have on hand each grade of synthetic steel wool: white, gray, maroon, etc. white gives close to 0000 steel wool results, without all those bits of steel flying around and getting imbedded in pores. You'll want something coarser to get a satin look, though. Not sure if the gray one is the ticket for satin... It's listed as 600 grit equivalent on one mfgr's site.
dave
Trent wrote:

Make sure you stir the finish before applying it,...; - ) cause this also happened to me. Happy Holidays to all!