Picture frames

I'm not new to woodworking, but have not done a lot of picture frames. I can construct a frame with tight angles and all that, but I have problem when I need to secure the glass, picture and backing to the frame. I have a few expensive tools from Rockler: a Squeeze tool that puts point into the frams and a "point driver" that bangs them in. They work great until it comes to the addition of a glass front.

If I'm using oak, cherry or maple (which are hard), the hand squuze tool often slips when driving the point, causing a shock which breaks the glass. If I use the point-driver tool, a "bang" is part of the way the tool works, which also breaks the glass. I can't find clips, as yet, for doing this and it's driving me nuts. I'm not a professional framer and don't feel like taking a course, but wondering if anyone out there has any ideas...?

Best regards,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Wolsko

Why are you putting the glass in before the frame is glued up? The glass should sit in a rabbet.

Reply to
Joe

Since you are making your frames, you could cut a groove on the inside edges so that the groove extends very slightly below where the outside of the backing will be; you cut then use a couple of small wedges on each frame piece to secure the glass/art/backing. A biscuit slot cutter is about the size groove I'm thinking of.

Reply to
dadiOH

BTW, the same thing works for drawer bottoms if one goofs and cuts the groove too wide.

Reply to
dadiOH

I've NEVER had the point gun break the glass. You have a backing in there too right? I just have one hand pressing gently on the backing to make sure everything is tight to the frame and fire away. Never a problem. The only other thing I can think of is maybe you aren't making the rabbet large enough, there should be a little room around the glass.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin