Picture frames

I'm not new to woodworking, but have not done a lot of picture frames. I can construct a frame with tight angles and all that, but I have problem when I need to secure the glass, picture and backing to the frame. I have a few expensive tools from Rockler: a Squeeze tool that puts point into the frams and a "point driver" that bangs them in. They work great until it comes to the addition of a glass front.
If I'm using oak, cherry or maple (which are hard), the hand squuze tool often slips when driving the point, causing a shock which breaks the glass. If I use the point-driver tool, a "bang" is part of the way the tool works, which also breaks the glass. I can't find clips, as yet, for doing this and it's driving me nuts. I'm not a professional framer and don't feel like taking a course, but wondering if anyone out there has any ideas...?
Best regards,
Paul

Why are you putting the glass in before the frame is glued up? The glass should sit in a rabbet.
Paul Wolsko wrote:

Since you are making your frames, you could cut a groove on the inside edges so that the groove extends very slightly below where the outside of the backing will be; you cut then use a couple of small wedges on each frame piece to secure the glass/art/backing. A biscuit slot cutter is about the size groove I'm thinking of.
--

dadiOH
dadiOH wrote:

BTW, the same thing works for drawer bottoms if one goofs and cuts the groove too wide.
--

dadiOH

I've NEVER had the point gun break the glass. You have a backing in there too right? I just have one hand pressing gently on the backing to make sure everything is tight to the frame and fire away. Never a problem. The only other thing I can think of is maybe you aren't making the rabbet large enough, there should be a little room around the glass.
-Kevin