Picture- Bookcases Installed

Page 2 of 2
On 2/15/2013 8:45 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Speaking of which, on the left side, lower unit, just below the middle shelf and just below the third from bottom shelf the back appears to be lit up. Is there a opening at the back of the shelves to let light shine through or is that just a reflection off the books that are laying down?
On 2/16/13 3:40 PM, Leon wrote:

Reflection. It was dusk and I had all kinds of lamps on to get some light in there.
--

-MIKE-

Speaking of lighting up cabinets and other things, Lee Valley Tools has just started marketing a line of LED tape lighting.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware/page.aspx?pp322&cat=3,43629&ap=1
On 2/16/2013 4:11 PM, Dave wrote:

Excellent! And finally affordable.
I have been looking at some under counter remote controlled LED units, 5 LED's per unit and battery operated. at Sam's Club. Inexpensive and by GE but the price sounded too good to be true. Probably old technology with poor performance.

I guess that's open to interpretation. Between 12v power supply, on/off switch, connectors, wire, optional dimmer and wireless remote, I can see the price increasing dramatically. In fact, the LED lighting is probably the cheapest part.
But, all the options are there for whatever application one has in mind and I guess that's the important thing.
On 2/16/2013 4:39 PM, Dave wrote:

Just a few years ago a remote switched run could have costed $5-6 hundred dollars. I think this is pretty reasonable. Any way thankss for bringing this to my attention.
"Leon" wrote:

-------------------------------------------- SFWIW, recently saw a ceiling fan installation that used a remote to start/stop the fan and in addition, turn on/off the ceiling light.
This was an installation in a condo that was in the midst of an upgrade, so assume the fan was not the latest/greatest, but I could see some possibilities, especially as an add on where there was no existing power in an existing ceiling.
Lew
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 16:24:00 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

That technology has been around for quite awhile.
http://www.x10.com/home_automation/remote_light_switch.html

I wanted one of those about 8 years ago when I replaced our original to the house living room fan that I added a light and pull chain to 30 years ago. The remote would have made operation much easier. My wife vetoed as we had enough remotes. Apparently you can have too many and I was not aware of this.
So if the fan was off and so too was the light and you wanted one on but not the other it typically went like this.. Walk oner to turn on one or the other. Nothing, walk over to the single control wall switch and turn it on.. The fan or the light now comes on but not the one that you wanted on. Walk back to the fan and pull two chains to turn the one you wanted on and to turn the one you did not want on back off.
With the remote leave the wall switch on, don't get up to remotely turn on or off what you want..
As for the LED lights and remote dimmer, we want to add under cabinet lighting in our relatively new kitchen. I figure a total of 12' of lighting in two areas. We don't want the wiring to show, and want all the lights to come on with a single switch. I figure transformers and remote receivers to on top of the cabinets behind the crown. The remote transmitter goes anywhere, no wires. I figure between $150 ~$200..
Three years ago we added two dimable five LED manual lamp units to the light bridge over our bed. Fantastic white to warm, not blue, reading light. $172.00.
We should be able to get about 100 dimable LED under cabinet lights remotely controlled for about the same amount.

*snip*
That's where a good multifunction and learning remote comes in. Mine has up to 10 functions, but if your remote only has two or three buttons there's no reason you can't "teach" it codes from different devices.
When asked what that remote controls, I just say "everything". It's true, but the looks I get on those rare occasions are neat.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 2/17/2013 12:29 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Been there and done that, have an old Yamaha remote that does a lot, a Universal Brand that does a lot but it seems that there is always a single often used function that does not transfer well to the smart remote. Like changing the sound field that uses 10 buttons on the Yamaha remote or oddly enough the input for the TV that does not transfer well. So I still have each of the standard remotes on hand as back up.
Lew Hodgett wrote: --------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------- "Leon" wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------- The unit I was describing consisted of a remote and a holster to hold it.
The holster gets mounted on a wall at switch level.
You operate it just like a hard wired switch, so there is really NO remote function in the normal sense.
Lew
On 2/16/2013 4:43 PM, Leon wrote:

this was for sale in my local costco about 2 months ago on a special, just inside the door. they may still have them.
On Friday, February 15, 2013 12:42:27 AM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yes, my design. I did lots of web surfing to find design elements I wanted. It was my first major effort in Sketchup. I detailed out every piece so I could build them modular in the shop and be sure it would all piece togethe r in the house. I had my buddy cut the arch piece on his CNC.
On the finish, I used BIN primer and sanded it out and did all the caulking . Then I had a pro paint it because with my tests spraying laytex with my c heap HVLP were not up to the standards I wanted.
One key for me was I used the ply with MDF faces for all the boxes and mdf for the door flat panels and it really provides a nice super flat substrate for the painting.
On 2/15/13 11:47 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

BIN and MDF is a match made in heaven. A couple sanded coats of BIN on MDF edges can be buffed very smooth.
--

-MIKE-

Yes indeed. In my case (pun intended) the FF hides all edges of the boxes and for the deck I wrapped it with 2" of hard edge (poplar) but the BIN did fill\hide the seam and after painting you can't find it.

I guess that might depend on the topcoat? Maybe not. I find it's very hard to hide edge banding seems... after they've gone through a seasonal change. I guess that also might depend on the area's climate.
I suppose if the BIN is hard enough, it would crack with expansion/contraction. Maybe a latex over top would stretch with the wood? Just thinking out loud. Any answers?
--

-MIKE-

I've been through one full set of seasons in northern California since final paint. We don't get much change here so probably helps. No cracks for sure but not sure if it shows more or less at various humidities. Haven't looked to close though.

+1
What I use for all painted wainscoting. Profiles nicely, also.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

On 2/14/13 12:16 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

tanks a rot. :-)