PICTURE -- Big vs. small impact wrench

Page 4 of 4
Leon wrote:

I've been watching this thread and figured I didn't have any real experience with the tools you guys are discussing. However, when I was 22, I also worked a tool that, while not identical, was similar in workings. I think. I worked underground in a mine and we used what were called "jack-legs". Similar to a jack hammer but with a pneumatic leg that ran out the bottom of the machine on a backward angle to plant itself in the ground, giving the machine forward thrust.
A bit on varying lengths of drill rod was attached to the front and the machine drilled holes in a rock face to allow explosives to blow the wall. We drilled 8-10 feet typically and then loaded with powder.
IIRC, the hardest part was similar to what Leon is saying; pick it up and get the hole started. Then try to catch your breath and replenish the quart of sweat you just lost. Turn the machine on and relax til the hole is finished. Torque on the leg (and the operator) was so minimal as to be insignificant. But man, did it drill.
Tanus

Meh... my grandfather discovered a machine that can take an entire tractor-trailer apart in 5 seconds. He calls it a locomotive.
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 13:53:03 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Sounds like a story behind that...
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

...You must have missed the part where I said it was more of a joke than a serious post, right? I'm not going to debate the issue when I wasn't putting myself in the position to defend it in the first place.
However, you are right. Technique and proper use / skill does mean a heck of a lot more than some or maybe even most people know.
V8013-R

We agree on that.

It doesn't have to be with a complicated tool, either. I knew that lesson from years of shovelling levees in rice fields, but I relearned it one summer working construction. I was told to remove the bottom three courses of a very hard concrete brick from the back of a building on which we were building an extension. The first day, it took several hours wailing with all my might with the sledgehammer just to make a hole (remember, young, 200# 6' and spent my previous summers shovelling, throwing fertilizer bags by the hundreds for the crop duster service). I got a few more out that day. The next, within 30 minutes I was removing each brick with three hits, and not using all my might but aiming better, and finished before quitting time.
Pete Keillor

Yeah. ;~)

Badder than the latest "Hulk"

Good for Joe. Citing some over sterioded wrestler/boxer/football player as an example of using power tools is a weak argument at best. I know there are all types of tools. I've worked with a lot of them. I know some are sweet to use, and have very little negative effects on the operator. And then I know some that will kick the living shit out of you.
BTW, I used to make a living using these things.
Steve
Without naming names,I think that many of us can benefit from reading the wikipedia article on impacts.
The torque applied to the bolt is the same, averaged over time, as the torque transmitted to the operator. The key is AVERAGED. The torque applied to bolts is HUGE but for short periods of time, and then zero for much longer periods etween blows. Because the impact is heavy, and is held in soft hands, the torque on operator hands is much more continuous and, on average, not that huge.
Example: forget impacts at all. Suppose that I pound a steel plate with a sledgehammer. The force on the plate may be equivalent to several tons, but it is very intermittent. Force that is acting on my body is much more continuous and is never more than a few dozen pounds of force.

In all seriousness, you should get your hands on a large impact and have your wife film the event. You will "look" like a he-man, then let your wife operate the tool and you do the filming. Don't show that one to your buddies. ;~)

Might I add, be sure to actually have the impact doing work vs. just spinning up.

Interesting thread.
The REALLY big bolts, are never tightened with an impact wrench. The two halves of a steam turbine casing in power generation (hundreds of thousands of horse-power) are held together with bolts. They are tightened by hand. Really. Just a small 2-3 foot spanner. No impact nonsense. Some bolts on the high pressure side are 3" to 4" in diameter x anywhere to 18" to 24" long. Tightened by hand. Un-done by hand. But there is a trick to it. A hole, in the middle of the bolt, runs length-wise and is about 3/4" in diameter. Therein lies the magic. Also, those bolts are polished at the ends, which are very flat... for yet another reason.
But alas, I said too much already...
oooweeeeooooo
rrrrrr
<...snipped...>

Yes, the same setup is often used on ship engines, for example to attach the cylinder head to the cylinder.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

On Jun 15, 9:55am, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Indeed. Often without any form of gasket.