Pics of 4x8 Harborfreight Trailer

Hi all,
Just wanted to update a couple of you who were interested in the outcome of this project.
I finished building it a couple of weeks ago and it now works nicely.
Here are some pics if you are interested: (this is my first attemt to build an .html page, so let me know if it doesn't work.)
-Kevin
http://members.cox.net/kmcgirl/KJM%20Trailer.htm
Kev, Nice photo's.
Had mine for a couple of years. Got it from a local Home Depot . . . end of summer clearance . . . took me a 'lazy afternoon' to assemble it. Finally got to use it last week, to 'retrieve' a 16 foot Dory from Harve de Grace, Maryland.
A suggestion . . . because it is so LOW, I can only see the outside edge of the license plate. With the Dory aboard, it was the same thing; the outside 'spare' obscured the view. I'm going to get a couple of those tall 'driveway reflectors' and rig some sockets for them on the aft end.

How does the HF trailer track when empty?
I have a 4x8 welded steel deal I picked up at Lowes for about $350. The trailer itself is quite a bit heavier than the HF model, weighing about 325 pounds.
I can see it literally flying behind me at times. <G> I'm in the process of building a heavy floor for when I'm carrying light loads. As the trailer hits the 500+ pound mark, it tracks great.
Barry

I bought the same one some time ago, and have since logged something like 80 trips with it. At this point, it's by far the best two hundred bucks I've ever spent. When it's lightly loaded, it lifts off over bumps. At what I suspect is close to it's rated load, it stays on the ground much better, and the springs actually seem to do something.
Only suggestion I've got is that you go over it thoroughly after a few hundred miles and retighten all of the bolts, particularly the lug nuts and the U-bolts that hold the axle to the springs. Mine loosened significantly after I put it together, but after a second torquing, everything seems to be pretty solid.
re: the rated load of 990 pounds - that's gotta be a number that's meant to get around some kinda legislation somewhere, huh?
-Tim

Some possibilities. 990 lb = 450 kg, a bit rounder number. 990 + empty weight is also about the axle rating of 1180 lb.
Stephanie and Tim wrote:

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 23:33:09 -0400, "Stephanie and Tim"

This reminds me of a 22' truck I rented a few weeks back.
A large yellow sticker on the box near the driver's door ordered "Tighten U-Bolts Every 500 Miles".
#1) Do you think this actually gets done? <G>
#2) I'd like to hear about the event that caused a lawyer to suggest the stickers.
Barry
Ron,
Good point,
First time I had to back it up at our local landfill, I couldn't see anything on my side mirrors. It was near impossible to back up into the disposal bay. I was thinking same thing... need something to stick either up or out about a foot for backup reference points.
-Kevin
A suggestion . . . because it is so LOW, I can only see the outside edge of

\
On 1 Sep 2003 17:28:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (kevin m) wrote:

My Jeep has fisheye mirrors, so I can see the trailer. Mu Subaru has power mirrors, so I simply drop the view down to back up my trailer.
I think the self-stick fish eye was under $5 at Pep Boys.
Barry
Barry, I had one of the 'fisheye' mirrors on my old Toyota Pick-up. Even with it on the driver's side, you { I } really had to LOOK vs. Glancing, to see anything. Forget the passenger side . . too much inattention in FRONT at highway speeds.
Anyway, I can see the end of the license plate & tail-light with only a little more time than a 'glance'. It's not a case of 'dropping down' {or really even 'fisheyes'}, it's more one of 'reaching around'.
Because the trailer is rather 'close coupled', it is RIGHT BEHIND the tow vehicle. With a taller load there would probably be no problem - you could see it through the rear view mirror on the windshield.
Regards & Thanks, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop
in message

Then go on a bicycle tour. I've got a few DalMac flags that came with price of admission. Cycling is good for you.
Wes