Pics in ABPW

Posted pics of a custom sectional and the last of 3 custom beds for a client in Aspen Colorado. The sectional shows various stages of the job, but I never took a final picture of the final piece with back cushions and kidney pillows It was all coil spring construction with spring down seat. The frame is 5/4 poplar doweled and screwed (yes Leon, I know I could have used a domino)<g> cushion and all down(50/50) back pillows The King-size bed is upholstered in a gray wool and is very contemporary as is the sectional. They will be picking up the bed on Tuesday here in Dallas to install in Aspen at the end of the month Thanks for looking
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Saturday, May 18, 2013 12:00:11 AM UTC-5, ChairMan wrote:

Looks great. Excellent pattern alignment/matching on the sectional - cushi on to boxing.
At first glance (viewing bottom pics first), the headboard looks kind of od d, as it stands alone in your shop, if I'm seeing correctly.... Are those (fabric) seams, crisscrossing the headboard? The seams' appearance, in som e pictures, kind of takes away from the rest of the excellent job. I suppo se there's a purposeful reason for that crisscross look, that those geometr ic design features are (possibly) for coordinating with some similar design feature in the bedroom, i.e., will no longer stand alone. In the second p ic, from the ABPW top, those rectangles look much better, more appropriate, in the stand alone shop setting.... the design feature/effect is more appr eciable. Sonny
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Thanks Yeah it's seamed, they wanted it divided into 4 equal sections and top-stitched. It doesn't look equal now, but with the mattress on it will be I don't like it, but it does give it some detail to an otherwise plain headboard. The sectional fabric was a mofo, each time I cut it I would have to take it to the serger and serge it to keep it from raveling. They also lucked out with the fabric lining up horizontally across the tops of the cushion fom the sofa to the chaise. They originally wanted the chaise part to be 84" long and I told them it would be long and made it 72" long. A couple of inches either way would have made the pattern mismatch across the top. Thanks again for looking
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Thanks Mike. I'm always overbuilding or over thinking jobs, because I hate to do things twice. ( can you say anal?)<g> I guess it has paid off because after 35 yrs of being in business, I can say that I have never had a piece comeback except to be redone again
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"ChairMan" wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------- The fact you have survived 35 years in business is of itself quite a statement.
Congratulations.
Lew
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
In belched:

Thanks, Lew
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I once told a customer that I build to last, the last thing I want is to see you again, unless you want me to build something else. :-)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
In wrote:

I've got to meet with a designer and old customer Tuesday to look at a sofa I built her at least 20 years ago. She's ready to recover now, but the 4 chairs I built for her in the same room, she just wants me to rework the cushion cores and add a little down to the backs. Sometimes I think I build it too well<g> BTW: There is nothing wrong with the sofa, she just ready for a change
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sunday, May 19, 2013 7:31:08 PM UTC-5, ChairMan wrote:

fa I built her at least 20 years ago. She's ready to recover now, but the 4 chairs I built for her in the same room, she just wants me to rework the c ushion cores and add a little down to the backs. Sometimes I think I build it too well<g> BTW: There is nothing wrong with the sofa, she just ready fo r a change
Mais! After 20 years, I can't imagine why she remembered you.... or your w ork!
Sonny Pass me another biere!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
In belched:

go figure, huh?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 5/18/2013 1:00 AM, ChairMan wrote:

Really nice work.
--
Jeff

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

thanks
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Very well done. A ton of work, not obvious to the untrained eye, skillfully executed to the point of making it look simple and easy, but elegant. Kudos!
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Thanks Karl, as you and Leon know all to well, the customers always think you should be able to do it cheaper than the factories. When the fact is quite the opposite. As far as simple and easy, quality never is. There is so much more that goes into furniture than people really understand. I can't tell you how many times a client/designer has said, " Can't you just pad it out?" I wish it were that easy. Thanks again for the kudos
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Nice work, and it appears to be well thought. Beyond the wood frames, having everything else come together is an art.. I have dabbled on about 3 small jobs involving upholstery, caning, and rewebing, it's a whole other set of skills..
I tell my potential customers that I do not compete with furniture stores offerings or prices.. I offer what the furniture stores cannot, custom built.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
In wrote:

Thanks, Leon. There is a bit of engineering involved as you well know. The custom bed took some extra thought because I had to figure in that the delivery service had to assembly it and not me. So, i tried to keep it as simple as possible, but included detailed instructions with the hardware

They usually just send me a picture of a sofa or chair from another manufacturer with the length and depth they want and I have to figure out the rest. Arm widths and heights, seat depths and heights. boxing width and on and on. Where as the manufacturer has already worked all these details out, but I'm suppose to be able to do it cheaper<shrug> All I can say is thank God for rich people, because otherwise i would be out of business<g>
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 5/19/2013 7:31 PM, ChairMan wrote:

Sounds like the airplane display cabinet. I got a designers rendering of what It "might" look like and it has to be assembled and dissembled multiple times during the year as different locati9ons around the world. Like you I had to design with someone else in mind for assembly and disassembley over and over.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
In wrote:

Yup, gotta figure the idiot factor into it. If you look again at the sectional pics, the pic of the bases on the cutting table shows the picture they sent me from a magazine to the right. That was all they gave me, except for the overall length they wanted it to finish
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.