Phone in the shop?

Page 1 of 2
When we changed from a hard-wired phone system to a set of wireless handsets powered by Vonage, I lost my phone-triggered flashing light in the shop.
What do you guys do to hear, or see, that the phone is ringing?
Does anyone know of a gizmo that can be triggered by a wireless phone signal that would flash a light (not necessarily the overhead lights) in the shop when the saw, or the DC, or the lathe, etc., is running and I can't hear the phone?
(The other) George

Plantronics makes all kinds of phone stuff. This might be what you're looking for:
http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/cat29880043/cat29880 038/prod5460024
Thanks Roy for your quick note. I just talked with Plantronics, and the indicator light you sent me to only works with one of their headsets which only work with hardwired phones, so, in this case, no dice.

George wrote:

Unfortunately, no direct input for the wireless other than the set here has a blinky red light after a message is received (that's real annoying and I've never learned how to retrieve messages from the d---'d thing :( ). :)
If it's a business phone and prompt response is important, guess getting into habit to check for messages would be the ticket...
George wrote:

I ignore the phone and use an answering machine :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I hardly use the home phone any more - my cell phone lives in my pocket, set on vibrate. Of course I ignore it if I'm in the middle of anything potentially dangerous involving power tools, but it doesn't vibrate sharply enough to startle me or anything. Seems to work for me. Andy

Nothing. Don't want to, either. That's why I have an answering machine. I don't have a phone in my shop, and if I ever put one in, it will have the ringer disabled. The LAST thing I want is to be startled while I'm operating machinery.
--
Regards,

I agree in principle, but I do carry the phone to the shop. I want to be able to call 911 if needed.

Ditto above emergency only

IMO, having a phone *with a ringer* in the shop makes you more likely to *need* to call 911. Someday, I'll put one in, but I'm not in a big rush to do so, and when I do, I'll disable the ringer. My shop's in the basement, and there's already a phone only ten or twelve steps away from the shop door if I need it.
--
Regards,
On Jul 31, 9:05 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

junction box and conected my incmming wires to it. All my phones work normally - wired and wireless. I think you might COMPLAIN to Vonage or the ISP and see if they don't have a solution.

phone stays in the house.
efgh wrote:

I have a hardwired phone on both sides of my shop. It's for my convenience. If I can't hear it, too bad.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:52:17 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Damn good idea, bro... I did the same, back when I had a cell.. the wife is in charge of it now, since I don't call anyone from Baja..
Another thing about emergency use... It's recommended that you program a someone's number in the phone to notify in case of emergency.. Make the name in your phonebook ICE...emergency personnel are trained to look for the number if the person in trouble has a cell phone..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Tue, Jul 31, 2007, 9:38am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@bajadavis.com (macdavis) doth sayeth: <snip> It's recommended that you program a someone's number in the phoneto notify in case of emergency.. Make the name in your phonebook ICE...emergency personnel are trained to look for the number if the person in trouble has a cell phone..
I can list numbers, which I've done. I have no idea what ICE is. So much info to absorb, so little concern about absorbing most of it. I think I'll just list my son's number, and label it, CALL IN CASE OF EMERGENCY; that ought to cover it.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in

ICE is frozen water. Since it's capitolized, it's being emphasized in some matter, such as ICE CREAM! It's often used to sooth sports injuries, so if you see someone injured playing ice hockey remember he's got an advantage if he gets hurt. It's only an inch or so to the ice for him. ;-)
On cell phones, a number labeled ICE is for someone else to call In Case of Emergency. This way an EMT doesn't have to spend time calling everyone in your phone to try to help you.

Here's the keystrokes to type that out on my cell phone keypad: 222 2 555 555 # 444 66 # 222 2 7777 33 # 666 333 # 33 6 33 777 4 33 66 222 999
As opposed to "ICE": 444 222 33

Puckdropper

Use the refrigerator for something besides an art gallery. http://www.folife.org /
Keep the meds list updated!
Puckdropper wrote:

Do real EMT's actually check, or is that an urban legend? Anybody here an EMT?
Personally, I travel with a laminated card listing contact, insurance, and medical information, as well as my driver's license in my money clip. Extra copies of the card and laminated photocopies of my driver's license are also in my bicycle ID packets, my kayak, and my flight bag.
I figure if the cards are obliterated the phone won't be much good, either.
If real EMT's say the ICE thing is the real deal, I guess it can't hurt.

We're not cops, so we can't go through your property legally without your permission. That's why having the information in a public place like the fridge is such a good idea. You may not be able to answer the questions on your own, and the emergency numbers and diagnosis by medication may be all the history we can get. Also a good idea to have any medical alert in the form of a necklace, as the primary survey runs top to bottom, and that'll be noticed.