Philisophical Woodworking Question

Me! Me! Me!
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

ROFLMAO!
Mekon
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in 3151.bay.webtv.net:

My sister came up with the phrase "OH! PLATE-BREAKING WORD!" It has been a source of humour in the family for decades. She it, however, a potter and a glass artist, and not a woodworker.
I think we are more creative, on the whole. At least with language.
The fun starts, when the worker has substituted air tools for hand tools, for fastening tasks.
Patriarch, been there. done that. luckily, no scar.

For me (now that I got my monitor and keyboard cleaned up again), it depends on who is in the shop with me. If my wife is out there supervising, I try to be a little more respectful of her. I usually just grit my teeth and it's an "mmm mmm MMMMM mmmmm" etc. She usually gets the message and leaves before my head explodes from my not being able to properly release. If I'm there by myself, well hell there's no point in making a scene because no one is there to appreciate it. Then I usually use the opportunity to study a little human anatomy and/or increase my supply of locally produced Bloodwood.
Wayne

Better yet, shove a 2 inch long x 3/16 inch sliver into to palm of your hand. Done in such a way that it is pretty much parrallel to the skin. It went into the pad of skin at the base of one finger, out of the skin, back in to the pad of my finger, then out again! First feeling was the pain, then the realization that it had to come out again! I sat down and looked the situation over for a minute, considered cutting it out, but decided that would cause more damage. I took out my Leatherman, grabbed the sliver, and pulled it through the rest of the way in one quick jerk! Of course there was much swearing after the sliver went in, and many times more after pulling it out! nothing better than good pure pain! Greg
This is like athiests who are about to get their rocks off. Who do they call to at 'that moment'?
J T wrote:

Last time I did a nasty to myself in the shop (fell against an old board I was going to "reclaim" and drove an 8 penny nail about 2" into my arm) I can remember my exact response. "Oh, my! Darn! Ouch! What bad luck. Gee, whizz." Or something like that. :)
FoggyTown "Cut to shape . . . pound to fit."

Sounds like another story that changes with time Mike. Sure it wasn't "Oh, Damn! Argh! What Shitty luck. God why me?"
I mean really Mike, the words are almost the same, sure you didn't change them a little? :)
Sat, Dec 4, 2004, 5:47am snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com (Upscale) says: Sounds like another story that changes with time Mike. Sure it wasn't "Oh, Damn! Argh! What Shitty luck. God why me?" I mean really Mike, the words are almost the same, sure you didn't change them a little? :)
Yeah, even the girls wouldn't say stuff like you claim.
JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind. - Dr Seuss
J T wrote:

Girls? You aren't implying girls have a cleaner vocabulary are you? I'm frequently embarrassed by how much my wife cusses, and I don't embarrass easy.
You should have heard her in labor.
After an all-male college and twenty in the military, I thought I had a good working knowledge of profanity - until I booked my first drunken female.

Unless she was giving birth at the time, you ain't heard nothing.
BTDT - Twice with SWMBO, three in the rig, and you're wrong!

Sun, Dec 5, 2004, 5:47pm snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net (Silvan) asks: Girls? You aren't implying girls have a cleaner vocabulary are you? <snip>
Hardly. What I was saying was, he was worse at bad language than any girl would be, like if she just poked herself with a pin or something, and then said "oh darn", that's all.
JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind. - Dr Seuss

I make it a rule never to call ot *any* names. Just in case I get the wrong one!
Mekon
Sun, Dec 5, 2004, 12:29am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mekon) says: I make it a rule never to call ot *any* names. Just in case I get the wrong one!
I, on the other hand, believe in equal opportunity. I try to cover all I can think of at the time.
JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind. - Dr Seuss

I'm the same way. A number of years ago when I broke both legs and as I was sitting in the hospital waiting for a room, a number of nurses came up to me commenting that I was white as a sheet. I had to actually talk a doctor out of trying to run some tests for anaemia. And it was a waste of time cursing or swearing because it would only have amplified the pain I was in, so I just sat there and suffered in silence. What else can you do?
Upscale writes:

Argh! More than 30 years ago, I tore the ligaments on both sides of my groin in a motorcycle crash in the woods (came up under the handlebars with my thighs: the bruises were still visible a year later, and I do NOT bruise easily). After all the x-rays, they decided no bones were broken, so it was on to checking to see..."Does this hurt" as he moves one leg with a slighty twist. I had spent something like 2 hours holding as still as possible until they got me out of the woods and to the hospital, because I already knew "this" hurt. When I came back to myself, I saw that almost everyone nearby had their hands over their ears. I don't know what I said to that idiot with an MD, but it was loud and nasty, and he quit manipulating my legs.
Charlie Self "Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy." Edgar Bergen, (Charlie McCarthy)

Somehow, I think tearing ligaments around the groin would be a little more painful, a sharper pain anyway. All I remember about breaking my legs was the month long, seriously painful ache I had that was just below the threshold of screaming my head off.
The one pain that really made me yell was two years later when I broke my left leg again. The swelling was so bad that the doctors were worried that it would constrict certain blood vessels causing the surround tissue to die. The test to determine this was injecting a needle approximately ice pick size into both legs and comparing the pressure of the released blood. Hell, it even hurts to remember that pain.
One thing about woodworking accidents, is that they mostly happen all of a sudden so one doesn't have to force the mind to accept that it's coming, except maybe the painful trip through the hospital emergency. When the doctors tell you to brace yourself that something is going to happen, it's almost painful forcing your mind to realize that it's going to have to accept the pain that is coming.
When the

Ditto that. I'm much worse with the anticipation of pain. I spent the good part of a night in the emergency room after stepping down off a my workmate with my full eight onto a nail. The docto r had to pull little bits of shoe-sole rubber out of my foot. I was stiff as a board waiting for him to pull that out.
The funny thing about that trip to the ER was that it was about 2:00am and the police brought some guy into the adjacent room who was drunk and had apparently driven onto someone's front porch. He was abusive resistive and apparently handcuffed to gurney.
Sound from the next room:
DR: We need to take of your pants sir. Patient: You're not taking off my F*ing pants. Sound effect: Zzzzzzip. (sound of sissors cutting the length of his pants).
I can't say that I have ever heard the term "c*cksucker" used more times in a ten-minute period in my life.
-s