Philisophical Woodworking Question

Page 2 of 5
I used to work with a Hindian who was a Jain (a Hindu sect). His universal expletive was "SHIT!!" said with a short barking sound.
Art

The normal Roman Catholic response at my house is !@#)(&^><+!!!!!!!!!!
Get me a %^$*&}@ Beer!

(SNIP)
I have been atheist since I was 18 and I usually say "Arghhh ...for fuck's sake!!" Then I try an instant tourniquet with my other hand, all the while knowing that it will hurt more when I let it go and knowing that I HAVE to let it go sometime. Much anguish a few more expletives and then more pain.
Mekon
On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 14:01:45 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

This one uses the names of government cabinet ministers. Offends no-one (that matters) and it's the only way I can remember most of the faceless drones.
If you want to invoke deities, I'd suggest Norse pagan ones. They have a good range, they seem particularly appropriate for the job, and a few were even killed by hammer blows.
Andy Dingley wrote:

BUNKETT (yes mis-spelled)

I have a hammer named Mjolnir. Hit my thumb with it, I was Thor for a week. It was stiff and rather Wodin for a while after that, but eventually I was Freja of the pain.
Dave "I am _so_ sorry." Hinz
Indeed. The first words are typically some religious reference which, as you point out, is odd since I am not religious at all. Followed by a steady stream of expletives related to my meager intelligence and family heritage.
The word stream is pretty much the same in all cases, the only variations are in volume and duration based on pain level (pain as is physical pain or pain as in how much work it is going to take to fix the problem).
TWS

[[.. munch ..]]

[[.. munch ..]]

OK, so you need some education _about_ the fine art of swearing. <grin>
'Expletives' break down in to several basic categories.
"Profanities" Taking the name of _thy_ god(s), and associated figures, in          vain, etc. "Obscenities" e.g. 'the seven words you can't say on TV' "Vulgarities" "neither of the above". "Euphemisms" "heck", "Gosh darn it", "drat", 'dag nab it', etc.
A truly devout person will scrupulously avoid profanities. Although they may *frequently* use language in the other two classes.
Note: something like 'Hell and D*mnation!' is _not_ profanity. Merely a vulgarity. "G*d d*mn it", on the other hand _is_ profanity.
It _is_ rather surprising how much 'hurt' you can ventilate using nothing more than vulgarities. *Particularly* if you _don't_ use them much in every-day conversation.
Euphemisms are totally unsuited for expressing any _intense_ emotion. Their purpose for existence is to provide a 'toned down' (and thus more 'socially acceptable') version of the form they substitute for.
The 'force' of _any_ expletive is a function of the class (from profanity down to euphemism), *and* the 'rarity of use'. The less often you use _any_ expletive, the more release you will get when you _do_ use it.
Swearing/cursing _is_ an art-form. *almost* a 'lost art' these days -- as far as _quality_ goes. An analysis I read, back in the early 70's, discussed various life-styles and the skill-set in this regard. One that stuck in my memory: "Marines, especially sargents, practice it extensively. Unfortunately, using a very limited vocabulary, mostly concerned with bodily functions."
<byte>
OK, so you need some education _about_ the fine art of swearing. <grin>

in
Their
'socially
_any_
discussed
functions."
Or to misquote(probably) someone . . "Darn is for people who (don't?) believe in Heck".(Or something like that).
--
Nahmie
Fri, Dec 3, 2004, 11:40pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (RobertBonomi) who obviously has me confused with someone else, is so misinformed that he says: OK, so you need some education _about_ the fine art of swearing. <snip>
J T wrote:

A good alternative to bad language. I screwed up boring the hole through a plane tote I had spent umpty hours carefully shaping to perfection by hand.
Rather than swear, I just got out the can of gas and sacrificed it (the plane tote, not the can of gas) to the woodworking gods. Burn baby burn.
It was somehow satisfying.
Sun, Dec 5, 2004, 5:49pm snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net (Silvan) claims: <snip> sacrificed it (the plane tote, not the can of gas) to the woodworking gods. <snip>
You might have made a sacrifice to the Godlet of Arson, but not the Woodworking Gods. They don't like that type of stuff. For them you send a donation, in care of me, the High Priest of the Woodworking Gods.
How many times do I have to tell you people? You don't do sacrifices to the Woodworking Gods at home. Sheesh.
I wondered who they were bitching about the other day, now I know. By the way, now you know why you're having so much trouble sharpening your lathe tools. LMAO
JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind. - Dr Seuss

When I injure myself, I say one of two things:
If it was a power tool, I say "Norm damn it!" If is a neander tool, I say "Roy damn it!"
Frank

LOL
Da(m)n
"Ouch!" I will often use other words if I've been drinking and not around women or children, but it's my personal rule that I'm not in the shop if I've been drinking.
Phisherman wrote:

Amen.
J T wrote:

["Curiouser and curiouser..."]
Of the the principals of the belief systems you listed, I think only Jesus was a woodworker. Do you suppose he ever hit his thumb with a hammer? And if so, what would he have said?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Why I believe he would have said "Joseph Christ!"
Allyn

Actually, to be a pedant about it, Christ is a title rather than a family name.
Sat, Dec 4, 2004, 1:49pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (DaveHinz) says: Actually, to be a pedant about it, Christ is a title rather than a family name.
We might as well take it the rest of the way. Apparently there's been discussion that another mistranslation in the Bible has popped up, and instead of a carpenter, Joseph was actually an architect.