Philips Wood screws

Page 2 of 3

For construction, they're great. For fine work, Philips (or even slotted) head screws look better.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 5/28/2011 4:26 PM, Father Haskell wrote:

For fine work I don't let screws show if at all possible.
Add pictures here
βœ–

That's a decision I've made many, many times thanks to HD's monopolization and complete fuckover of U.S. hardware quality. Still, some projects are always going to have visible screwheads somewhere, such as the tiny #3 Philips screws used just about everywhere on guitars.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 28 May 2011 14:26:40 -0700 (PDT), Father Haskell

I don't find trim-head screws with a #1 Robertson head any more objectionable than other screws. Slotted? Ick! I suppose you line up all the slots, too. ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On May 28, 5:55 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Which would you prefer for setting hinges?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 28 May 2011 20:30:58 -0700 (PDT), Father Haskell

I don't think it would matter much, except it would *not* be slotted. If you're talking about interior door hinges, given a choice, I'd probably use Torx (exterior, certainly).
Add pictures here
βœ–

Hmm. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer the little square. I think the Robertson screws may have acquired a bad reputation because they were used extensively in "production" cabinetry. People thought if a cabinet had "square head" screws it must have come off a production line. que no?
Max
Add pictures here
βœ–

I like my work to look at least 40 years old. Traditional finishes such as shellac or linseed oil are a start. Hardware is the crowning touch, so no screw heads that you wouldn't find on something 4 decades old.
Add pictures here
βœ–
In article <e4f248f7-9ce3-43e9-bb49-
says...

40 years ago would be 1971. WEST epoxy, polyurethane, Torx fasteners, all were available then.
Add pictures here
βœ–

And not one of them made in China.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Ignoramus6479 wrote:

To begin with get your wood screws from McFeeleys. That will solve all your problems. ...lew...
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Ignoramus6479" wrote in message
There are two kinds of Philips wood screws. The better ones fit the screwdriver like hand and glove, stay on it and maintain the direction. The "other kind" do not, they wiggle out and are a huge pain to use to start holes in awkward positions, etc.

If you were smart, you would get the square drive or better yet, the Torx drive ceramic coated screws. Run in easy and do not break or strip easily. I have left the easy stripping phillips head screws in my past, thankfully, forever.
-- Jim in NC
Add pictures here
βœ–
There is also another screw called JIS... it is a japanese standard and might also be what you are seeing.
On 5/27/2011 6:19 PM, Ignoramus6479 wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

As many others have noted, there are lots of screw types that look like Phillips, and one must match screw to screwdriver.
The issue I suspect was that people needed to avoid Phillips patents. I have an old #2 Phillips drive that is marked as being licensed under US patent 2,507,231. I bought the driver in the late 1960s in Baltimore. I'm pretty sure it was made by Stanley, from the day when they made the best tools.
For instance, there is a Japanese standard that is visually identical to Phillips, but the drivers are not interchangable, so if one worked on much Japanese-built equipment, one got Japanese screwdrivers. This was particularly true of cameras and optics.
Joe Gwinn
Add pictures here
βœ–

Better drivers, Philips or straight, are hollow ground to prevent camout. You'll never see a wedge-ground straight tip for a power driver. Worn wedge-ground drivers can be hollow ground for the same benefit.
Trivia -- the Philips in Sony-Philips, who invented the CD, is the same company that invented both the Philips driver and the compact audio cassette.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Den 28-05-2011 23:24, Father Haskell skrev:

That is not true. Here you have the true story of the name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_F._Phillips
--
Uffe Bζrentsen

Add pictures here
βœ–

Interesting. And, the wiki gives the other patent number.
Joe Gwinn
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

FWIW, Phillips also developed Pozidrive and several other screw heads. They have a web site at <http://www.phillips-screw.com/contact.htm .
Also, the big Dutch electronics company spells it with one "l", the screw manufacturer with two.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Probably a trademark issue, and the Dutch outfit was always Philips.
Joe Gwinn
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

I think it's a matter of being founded by Gerard Philips vs Henry Phillips.
Add pictures here
βœ–