Phenolic/tung oil varnish?

I'm about to re-finish an exterior door. It has McCloskey spar varnish on it. I've "heard" that a phenolic/tung oil varnish would be the best finish but I'm wondering what brands I might consider. Any recommendations?
Max

From what I've studied (but have limited pracice), the key for exterior finishes is UV protection. UV damages the wood fibers over time, resulting in poor adhesion. So you want an exterior finish with UV inhibitors in them.
After that, your finish should be relatively flexible, to accomodate the shrink/swell cycles from humidity and heat/cold.
I have a Fine Woodworking article (May/June 2009) that tried various finishes and recommends Smith & Co Penetrating Epoxy Sealer, followed by Epiphanes varnish. Or just use the varnish. Either way, you use a lot of coats.
From a Google search:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid 69&familyName=Smiths+Cold+CPES+Epoxy
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid
Here's a version of Epiphanes with phenolic resins and tung oil.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid &familyName=Epifanes+Wood+Finish+Gloss+Varnish

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid 69&familyName=Smiths+Cold+CPES+Epoxy
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid &familyName=Epifanes+Wood+Finish+Gloss+Varnish
Thank you kindly, Sir. I will give it a try.
Max
"Jim Weisgram" wrote:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid &familyName=Epifanes+Wood+Finish+Gloss+Varnish
---------------------------------- Epiphanes is the choice of the "woodie" crowd at almost any marina.
After 6-8 coats, you will have a decent base. <GRIN>
BTW, 3-4 base coats of laminating epoxy sanded between coats provides a great base but no UV protection which is why the Epiphanes overcoat.
Lew

Pshaw!! I don't want it to look like a bar top. ;-)
Max
"Max" wrote:

------------------------- No problem, just figure a redo every 2nd-3rd year depending on amount of sun.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

2nd - 3rd year?? The stuff (McCloskey Spar varnish) that's on there is about 6 years old and not so bad it couldn't go another year. I was looking for something that would last a little longer. ;-)
Max
"Max" wrote:

-------------------------------- You've set the bar rather low if McCloskey Spar Varnish is almost adequate. >GRIN>
Lew

Wellll, that's why I was askin' about a better product.
SWMBO says I did the McCloskey job in spring of 2003. (She say it was just before we went to Michigan that year) But here's the door now:
http://tinyurl.com/4h4p95s
Max
"Max" wrote:

------------------------------ Appears to have weathered rather well.
If you're lookimg for something better, then after an epoxy base with an Epiphanes top coat, it's all down hill.
Have fun.
Lew
On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 13:21:30 -0700, Jim Weisgram

Wow, I have to try some of that. It has the same ingredients as Waterlox, but it costs half the price.
-- If the only prayer you ever say in your whole life is "thank you," that would suffice. -- Meister Eckhart