Pewaukee, Wisconsin Woodworker's Store

Years ago... Thinking back to the mid-to-late 1980's there was a woodworker's store in the Town of Pewaukee, Wisconsin.

Another woodbutcher and myself are wracking our brains trying to recall the name of the place. All I know is that it was in Pewaukee and it was NOT one of the chains like Woodcraft or Rockler's.

I know there a few sawdust makers in the southeastern Wisconsin area. Anyone recall the name? Better yet, do you know if it's still in business?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Unquestionably Confused wrote in news:hBa2x.74638$ snipped-for-privacy@fx17.iad:

I've often had some success with searching for "[business category] [town name]".

shows three locations that mention Pewaukee: His Panel, Nienow Woodworks, Hargrove & Sons Gift Factory. That Hargrove & Sons seems to go by the name Myrtlewood as well.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Thanks, Puckdropper but none of them ring the bell. It's one of those times (alas, too many, too often) where it's on the tip of my tongue or brain (such as it is) and I (we) just can't dredge it up.

Hopefully, someone with a better memory than I will recall it and give a shout out. Like obscenity, I'll know it when I see it

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I remember the shop, but I cannot remember the name. Bought a set of Marples chisles there and a nice rosewood handled square (all still in use) in the early '80s. The missing name is going to haunt me and I will post when it comes to me. I think I also bought a bunch of paduak there for a bedroom set I built. Do you live in the area?

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

I'm a "flatlander" living about 15 minutes south of Lake Geneva. My buddy just "discovered" Neu's Hardware in Menomonee Falls and has this huge tool jones. Wants to do a "field trip."

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

There used to be (and perhaps still is) an antique tool place in Genoa (between La Crosse and Prairie Du Chein) that had a very nice collection of Stanley planes and other old tools.

Worth a stop in when you're on highway 35.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Thanks. We get up that way (actually drive through Genoa) once a year in October as we travel the Great River Road up to LaCrosse for the Fall Color Run.

I don't recall ever seeing it (and lord knows Genoa is not much more than a wide spot in the road.)

Is/was it right on the highway or off on a side street?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Not Octoberfest? I remember the old HAMMs silos near gunderson from the old days.

It's on Main street, a block off 35, at the south end of main street, between swan and eagle; across the river from the old nuke plant.

The guy that used to run it reminded me of Wilford Brimley. I think his son had taken over the shop.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal
[snip]

Nope, the Corvette Club of Minnesota sponsors an annual Fall Color Run over Columbus Day weekend. Depending on the weather, anywhere from 225 to 350 Corvettes will roll out of the park in Onalaska for a somewhat leisurely (we try at least) ride through the Wisconsin hills. Amazing how many folks along the route set up chairs to watch. Almost like a parade. Fun watching the Amish kids standing by the road drooling with "auto wood" in their overalls

Not Hamm's, they were based in St Paul, MN. The one in La Crosse was G. Heileman's Old Style Brewery. Their label was bought out and the plant taken over by City Brewing Company quite a few years ago. Never knew it, but when a beer, such as Old Style, is sold to another company, the primary object of sale is the label and goodwill. What you wind up drinking under the new ownership may be totally different under the new owner or it may be the same.

The "World's Largest Six Pack" is still there.

That explains why I never spotted it going through "town." I will look for it this next trip through. Have already put the info and reminder in my calendar for this year. Thanks again!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Ah yes, Heileman's. It's been about 40 years since I regularly went through La Crosse, and was too young to drink then. We had a Walters brewery in Eau Claire, and Leinenkugel's in chippewa falls.

It's been five or six years since I last stopped in there (folks have a log cabin near Ferryville); hope the tool store is still there.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I think that was Punkin Hollow. Long gone.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Kirchner

Punkin Hollow it is .. and here's a story from the Milwaukee Journal:

Gramps' shop

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused