pew clips

I am lookiing for some of those spring loaded clips you used to find in church pews, with the button on top that was pressed to raise the clip arm. They were used for holding the songs and readings, etc. and were mounted on the back of the pew in front of you. I found all the kneeler hardware I need, but these little rascals are proving elusive.
tia Will

Try an architectural salvage yard. Ours have loads of umberella racks from the ends of pews, having cut down the pews into short "deacon's benches" and sold them as decorator pieces. "Pew clips" (which I've never seen) may well have gone through a similar fate.
Those clips were not for holding songs and readings originally, they were to hold a man's hat in the days gone by. They may prove difficult to find in this day and age. --dave

thats right! they held the hats. old age has taken a toll on my memory.
Dave Jackson wrote:

Can't help you on finding them, but their real original use was to hold mens' hats, by the brim, back in the days when almost all men wore brimmed hats.
Tom Dacon

They are not used for the intended purpose anymore--to hold mens' hats. I noticed a few people use them to hold their contribution envelope, and sometimes children playing with the clips. I'd say these clips are no longer needed.
snipped-for-privacy@noone.com says...

I've never seen one of these, but might it be something like the item shown in this link?
http://www.calusa.com/shop/hat-holder/calusa-hat-holder-2/photo/1

The ones I've seen are dark painted shell-C-shaped pressed metal with a hidden spring and a small rubber roller on one end with a little more holding strength than a spring-operated wooden clothes pin. They are design such that they won't easily catch on clothes or items. Some modern (Catholic) churches don't use kneelers anymore, but when used these can take a beating with normal use.