Petition to secede? Interesting idea...

Page 1 of 3
Texas, and 18 other states? This ought to be interesting...
<https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/peacefully-grant-state-texas-withdraw-united-states-america-and-create-its-own-new-government/BmdWCP8B
The Lone Star offering (the handiwork of an Arlington resident named Micah H) reads as follows:
We petition the Obama Administration to peacefully grant the State of Texas to withdraw from the United States of America and create its own NEW government.
The US continues to suffer economic difficulties stemming from the federal governments neglect to reform domestic and foreign spending. The citizens of the US suffer from blatant abuses of their rights such as the NDAA, the TSA, etc. Given that the state of Texas maintains a balanced budget and is the 15th largest economy in the world, it is practically feasible for Texas to withdraw from the union, and to do so would protect its citizens standard of living and re-secure their rights and liberties in accordance with the original ideas and beliefs of our founding fathers which are no longer being reflected by the federal government.
The petitions been up since Friday, and when I first clicked on it at 8:30 this morning there were 16,848 signatures; eight minutes later that number had jumped by 100. (Update at 9:17 a.m.: Now, more than 17,300 have signed the petition.) Never mind that Texas cant secede from the Union: As Gawker points out, should the petition reach the 25,000-signature threshold, well, White House staff will review it, ensure its sent to the appropriate policy experts, and issue an official response.
Looking forward to that update.

Don't let the door slap them on the back on the way out...

There are petitions circulating in -15- states now. The plot thickens...
-- While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness. -- Gilda Radner
Bob F wrote:

Every state contributes something important to the Union and would be missed.
The biggest advantage to Texas in the proposed secession would be the ability to control its borders. By that I mean keeping the liberals out.
On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:14:04 AM UTC-5, HeyBub wrote:

Not to worry. I won't even fly over Texas.
Charlie Self wrote:

And we appreciate your thoughtfullness.
Here's the definitive breakdown of who gets what (author unknown):
Dear Red States:
We're ticked off at the way you've treated California and we've decided we're leaving.
We intend to form our own country and we're taking the other Blue States with us.
In case you aren't aware that includes Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois and all the Northeast.
We believe this split will be beneficial to the nation and especially to the people of the new country of New California.
To sum up briefly:
You get Texas, Oklahoma and all the slave states.
We get stem cell research and the best beaches.
We get Elliot Spitzer. You get Ken Lay.
We get the Statue of Liberty. You get OpryLand.
We get Intel and Microsoft. You get WorldCom.
We get Harvard. You get Ole' Miss.
We get 85 percent of America's venture capital and entrepreneurs. You get Alabama.
We get two-thirds of the tax revenue. You get to make the red states pay their fair share.
Since our aggregate divorce rate is 22 percent lower than the Christian Coalition's we get a bunch of happy families. You get a bunch of single moms.
Please be aware that Nuevo California will be pro choice and anti war and we're going to want all our citizens back from Iraq at once. If you need people to fight ask your evangelicals. They have kids they're apparently willing to send to their deaths for no purpose and they don't care if you don't show pictures of their children's caskets coming home.
We wish you success in Iraq and hope that the WMDs turn up but we're not willing to spend our resources in Bush's Quagmire.
With the Blue States in hand we will have firm control of 80% of the country's fresh water, more than 90% of the pineapple and lettuce, 92% of the nation's fresh fruit, 95% of America's quality wines (you can serve French wines at state dinners) 90% of all cheese, 90 percent of the high tech industry, most of the US low sulfur coal, all living redwoods, sequoias and condors, all the Ivy and Seven
Sister schools plus Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Cal Tech and MIT.
With the Red States you will have to cope with 88% of all obese Americans and their projected health care costs, 92% of all US mosquitoes, nearly 100% of the tornadoes, 90% of the hurricanes, 99% of all Southern Baptists, virtually 100% of all televangelists, Rush
Limbaugh, Bob Jones University, Clemson and the University of Georgia.
We get Hollywood and Yosemite, thank you.
38% of those in the Red states believe Jonah was actually swallowed by a whale, 62% believe life is sacred unless we're discussing the death penalty or gun laws, 44% say that evolution is only a theory, 53% that Saddam was involved in 9/11 and 61% of you crazy bastards believe you are people with higher morals then we lefties.
We're taking the good pot too. You can have that dirt weed they grow in Mexico.
Sincerely, Author Unknown in New California.
On Monday, November 12, 2012 4:34:33 PM UTC-6, Larry Jaques wrote:

Gramp's shop wrote:

That's cool.
On the other hand, Texas controls 70% of the nation's refining capacity. But your high tech wizards should be able to figure out how to run your cars on coal.
Wait! I forgot! You'll all be driving electric cars!
Never mind, then.

25%, actually. http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pnp_capprod_a_%28na%29_8pa_BSD_a.htm
On 11/13/2012 1:17 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

That's enough to run Texas ok, and maybe a bit left over for foreign aid...

Until one realizes that something like 70% of the federal income taxes paid by texans are funnelled back into the state; which means that even _if_ texas were to succeed at secession, they'd have to impose high state taxes to cover the shortfall.
Not to mention that the border gets 400% longer and would cost a great deal more to secure.
On 11/13/2012 4:29 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

I think we are doing our math differently. 100% going out and 70% coming back?
I think we'd do ok.
And no "income" tax. (sacrilege!)

Not a problem. Get the Feds out of the way and we can deal with the borders.
But it's just a pipe dream.
writes:

I think that Scott meant that of the Federal taxes paid by Texas, 70% goes back to them (I didn't check the figures). That means that Texas would save some of the money paid to the feds, but not really that much. They would have to raise that 70% for themselves, plus they would have to find a way to pay their own military, diplomats, etc.
--
Best regards
Han

Well, considering the amount of armament that regular Texans supposedly have in their homes, their military wouldn't need to budget much to get them armed. :)

How many "regular Texans" to defend the refineries etc around Houston from air attack? I am just saying, we aren't only concerned with Joe common criminal here.
--
Best regards
Han
On 11/15/2012 7:20 AM, Han wrote:

A few F-16s for General Dynamics, Fort Worth.
On 11/15/2012 7:45 AM, Richard wrote:

One Texas Ranger?<g>

It was another joke Han. You're feeling a little slow lately aren't you?

Well, this time I joked back at the poster <grin>. This whole secession idea is total crap. (Not a joke).
--
Best regards
Han
On 11/15/2012 10:24 AM, Han wrote: