Perplexed and confused.....

I cut miter joints on my miter saw and never use the table saw to do it. However, I'm stuck having to use the TS and I can't figure out what is going wrong. With the blade at 90, I have checked for squareness with the miter slot, my miter, the fence, and the blade. I have the PALS system with a dial indicator and have checked everything to tight tolerances.

I have a Powermatic 64A left tilt. When I crank it to 45 degrees nothing is square anymore. The front of the blade turns in towards the fence and the back runs away. I'm guessing it's about 1/4" out of square at 45 degrees.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
D Steck

You've got a problem under the deck of your PM. Trunion issues IIRC. I tried Googling to find the old thread...it's out there somewhere. Anyone remember?

Dave

D Steck wrote:

Reply to
David

Reply to
David

Yeah, something's screwed up... :)

I don't know how tht 64 trunions are made so can't speculate specifically. Surely if you bought the saw new it can't have been long to have discovered this? In that case I'd expect PM to solve it. In case you bought it used or some such, I'd still start w/ PM service to get their take. That of course assumes there's not something obvious like a broken casting, misaligned casting, etc., that checking out below shows up...

Undoubtedly there will be someone along w/ a 64 to help...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Arrrghhhh. I was afraid of a big problem. I just sent Powermatic a note and will call them in the morning. I bought the saw new. I hate to say it, but when I first got it, I ran into this problem but figured it was my inexperience - thus the reason I use my miter saw when I do miter joints - and I just don't do them that often. The saw is maybe 2 -3 years old now. I'm sure I'll get good support from Powermatic. They'll probably send me a

66 for all my trouble don't you think?
Reply to
D Steck

It's the motor mount alignment bars. They bolt to the trunnion. Check your manual, or borrow someone else's who has that genre for information. FWW and Shopnotes have both published excellent articles on how to adjust.

The have that thing on the table that rides in a groove that can help you. What's it called? Oh yes, a miter gage....

Reply to
George