permit inspections

Now that makes complete sense in our government run nanny states. The "System" really does just suck!

Reply to
evodawg

California is #@%^ed up a lot!!! Because of Prop. 13 the government found a loop hole that allows them to do that. When the market was hot, I would always educate my customers on this loop hole. Guess what they would chose? Some of these houses had gone up 1/2 million dollars and they were paying taxes on 100,000.00 the original purchase price of the house. Can you imagine the increase in taxes?

Reply to
evodawg

Fine, believe what you want to. As for me, if I don't pull a permit and something goes wrong I have nobody but myself to blame. Who are _you_ going to blame?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Reply to
J. Clarke

Better a complete fool with a signed off inspection than a brilliant boy like you with an unsaleable property.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I live in MA - since due to union influence, a homeowner is not allowed to do plumbing (even theoretically not allowed to change a faucet - rationale is "water safety), I hired a plumber to work with me, supervise me, and pull the permit.

All we did was redo some old cast iron piping and route a new drain and supply line for a basement utility sink.

The inspector is a really nice guy and works very well with the plumber. Nevertheless, in the basement he saw that there was an air admittance valve installed (by a previous owner) to vent a seldom used washing machine. This drain & vent run was not part of our work. Notwithstanding the fact that the drain was 2", seldom used, and probably would have worked fine without venting, the inspector cited GENUINE (and he was genuine) safety concern about sewer gasses and asked us to put in a proper vent. He was especially concerned when he found out that we had children. This despite the fact that air admittance valves are allowed in nearly all other jurisdictions.

But he wasn't being a dick -- he was genuinely concerned. In fact, he said he trusted us to fix it and signed off on the work without rechecking.

All in all, wasn't too bad because only cost me a few bucks for the fittings and some time -- and now everything is up to code. But it does show that at least in our town, if inspector thinks there is a saftey issue (and most code items are by definition safety issues), he can have you redo it even if it has nothing to do with your current permit.

Reply to
blueman

Credibility......It is generally a good thing when someone purports something as fact that they have at least have some basis for the claim. Valid as they might be..... could be's, maybes and might happens probably should be acknowledged as such....... Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

Even if he did bolster his credibility with some type of verifiable fact, I'd be expecting some type of error in it solely because of his mercenary response. Even if most do consider self interest as a first thought, people who outwardly display it for all to see is a turn off.

Reply to
Upscale

I see. And I should care about my "credibility" with some character who I have never met, likely never will meet, who has no power to affect my life in even the most minuscule way, who can't recognize an opinion unless it's labelled as such, and who doesn't have the common courtesy to LET IT GO because?

Oh, and who they Hell are _you_ that I should care what _you_ think?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Reply to
N Hurst

That, of course, is a complete non-sequitor and not representative of any of the comments you've received.

You made a claim, others are asking for you to back your claim.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Not true John. Though often stated here, there are so few cases of insurance companies not paying due to some form of owner neglect or whatever, that they become insignificant. Insurance companies daily pay for every form of stupidity, code violation, etc. on the part of the homeowner. They have to - they take the money.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
J. Clarke

You are backing up an assertion John, with suspicions on your part. Though they seem logical in one sense, they don't align with real world practices. Insurance companies don't have as much wiggle room as you believe. They take the premium money so they are subject to many more laws that require them to pay.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

The point being that you did no such thing John.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

As well, I've never had an insurance company request a CO or any other form of documentation of inspection processes to process a claim. I have seen insurance companies pay off on all sorts of wiring nightmares that would never pass even the most blind of inspections, homeowner bonehead practices (thawing out frozen pipes with a torch up in the floor joists, etc.). This whole insurance denial is much more FUD than it is anything else.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You are just guessing at things John.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Patently untrue.

Patently untrue.

You watch too many scarey movies John.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

"Mike Marlow" wrote

LOL ... The chorus of that old Bluegrass song, "Fox On The Run" keeps popping up while reading this thread.

And, here comes the chorus, again ...

:)

Reply to
Swingman

You are a fool. Absolutely wrong, as well.

Reply to
krw