permit inspections

Page 3 of 7
evodawg wrote:

Luckily, not all localities do that.
We pay for the add-on, and that's it.
B A R R Y wrote:

California is #@%^ed up a lot!!! Because of Prop. 13 the government found a loop hole that allows them to do that. When the market was hot, I would always educate my customers on this loop hole. Guess what they would chose? Some of these houses had gone up 1/2 million dollars and they were paying taxes on 100,000.00 the original purchase price of the house. Can you imagine the increase in taxes?
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

I did.

Even worse. Inspections show nothing.
--
Keith

krw wrote:

Believe what you want to. Permit required, no permit pulled, inspection required, no inspection performed, insurance company says "sorry, your fault".
--John

I keep hearing this, but I've been over my homeowner's policy (Texas HO-B) pretty carefully and can't find a clause that lets them deny a claim based on permitting and/or inspection. Do you have a reference for this? Thanks, Doug
Douglas Johnson wrote:

There's more to insurance law than the words in the policy. You really need to ask a lawyer versed in Texas insurance law this question, however I suspect that you will find that there is by case law or statute an exclusion for damage caused by gross negligence or reckless or illegal conduct on the part of the policyholder. It doesn't say in the policy that there is an exclusion for an arson fire in which the policyholder was the arsonist, but do you really think that they'd pay off on that? Homeowner-conducted repairs that were not done in accordance with the law are less clear cut but they give the insurance company wiggle room.
--John

Which is why I asked for a reference. This insurance threat has been endlessly repeated on Usenet, but I've never seen any authoritative source. I'd love to settle the issue one way or the other. -- Doug
Douglas Johnson wrote:

So call around until you find an insurance lawyer and ask.
--John

But you stated it as fact:

I was hoping you had some references. Thanks, Doug
Douglas Johnson wrote:

Would you grow up.
--John
J. Clarke wrote: ...

Be _far_ better if you'd verify your facts before posting fud... :(
dpb wrote:

It amazes me that people get angry at being told that if they ignore the law they can get in trouble.
--John
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 14:05:27 -0400, "J. Clarke"

I'm not seeing anyone getting angry. I'm seeing individuals asking for a reference to back up a statement. I've heard the same statement a number of times, have asked for a reference myself and have never been offered one or ever seen a case that backs up the statement.
It seems to be a popular troll for scaring people into thinking insurance, warranties, etc. are not going to protect them.
Had a plumbing failure that caused a great deal of water damage several houses ago. There was no way to ascertain whether the failed plumbing was original or add on and whether if add on, was covered by permit and inspected. Insurance adjuster never mentioned it, just processed the claim. As was the case the repair to the plumbing ($50), was not covered, but the damage, several thousand, was.
An anecdotal sample of one.
Frank
Frank Boettcher wrote:

No, it's for scaring people into dotting their "i"s and crossing their "t"s so that if something does go wrong their asses are covered. What objection do you have to doing this? Is the 25 bucks or whatever for a permit going to mean the difference between survival and starvation for you? Did a building inspector rape your cat?

If permits are required for "new work" and it wasn't on the original approved plan then it's not covered.

Now suppose the damage had been several hundred thousand? Do you think that they might have scrutinized the situation a bit more carefully?
Insurance companies are about profit, just like any other business. It costs more on a small claim to contest the claim than it does to pay it, even if the claim might be slightly questionable. If it's a big claim and might be the result of something that the insurance company is not required to cover then they may very well choose to contest it.
--John
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 18:30:48 -0400, "J. Clarke"

So I guess you made up your statement about the insurance being invalidated in the spirt of protecting us from our foolishness. That's the question that was presented to you. I (we) simply want to know if you can quote reference or case for that statement. Can you?

Sure, but not deny the claim on the basis of a building permit or inspection. Please quote case or reference.

Frank Boettcher wrote:

Chasing down Texas case law is going to take time and effort. Do you want this badly enough to pay for it?
--John

You are the one that made the claim, you are the one who should do any research necessary to support the claim.
scott
Scott Lurndal wrote:

What's in it for me?
--John

Knowing the truth?
I've also heard this claim, yet no one has come forward and said they were denied. Until I see some hard evidence, I'm skeptical.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Fine, believe what you want to. As for me, if I don't pull a permit and something goes wrong I have nobody but myself to blame. Who are _you_ going to blame?
--John