Perhaps seperate group for INSPIRATION posts.

Page 3 of 4

Hear! Hear! JOAT is as thoughtful as possible in using subject headers that allow the reader to decide whether to read. While the nature of the posts is a distinct subset (rec.woodworking.plans?) the volume is small enough to easily stay in the larger, on-topic group, and is too small, IMHO, to warrant a group of its own.

*waving*
"FRED!!"
"Over here! I can see your house from here!"
00
Rob Sarnia, ON
PS. I know a shortcut to a Lee Valley store. 55mins, tops.
I vote for JOAT to stick around and keep posting here. I can read or ignore as I please thanks to the clear subject lines.
Andy http://www.myweb.cableone.net/andya /

Andy wrote:

Yeah... what he said. It's not JOAT's fault you can't run a normal newsreader.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I don't think we need another group for this type of post. They are as "on topic" as you can get to a woodworking newsgroup so why not keep them here. I don't see bandwidth as an issue because all you're getting in the subject line. Very little traffic there.
What JOAT could do to reduce the number of posts would be to do an 'Inspiration' post and list all the stuff he finds in that one post. But, I'm not his momma so I can't tell him what to do. Just a thought. :-)
Bryan
You are new here aintcha. Maybe some suggestions after you see how this group works.

not so new but sure did step in the proverbial pile with this one. :-)
Not to worry - you just had a run in with someone who has to have a comment on just about every post made here. And you caught him on a good day.....;-)

Lucky me! :-)

You asked for input and I provided it. I see it as a selfish request, for something you could trivially work around.

Oh, grow up for Christ's sake. The guy made a suggestion and few agree with it. Fine, he realizes it, so let it be and you stop being an obnoxious prick.

Do us both a favor and killfile me then, wouldja? Thanks awfully. Guy wants the world to change for him; I provided several ways he can get what he wants without a useful resource being taken away.
Well Dave is our local self appointed net nanny. I have been here for 4 or 5 years and when he came on board a few months ago he was suggesting how I should post. I still post as I wish.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Don't take it too personally. A while back there was a particularly obscene and persistent troll that was attacking JOAT for no logical reason I could ever see. It got quite bad for a while and I suppose folks here may be a little quick to circle the wagons if it seems like someone might be starting that up again. One of the troll's favorite things was to post a complaining response to every one of JOAT's inspiration posts. So, you hit a little close to a sore spot there.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

There are pile's o plenty in this group.
On 19 Jan 2005 10:06:26 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Well, this newsgroup is big, maybe even classified as "huge." But it's amazing the majority prefer it that way. Occasionally, I appreciate JOAT postings and any thoughts by others who have an inspiration or wood design thought. Wood can be shaped into just about any crazy idea. For the most part, I'm a "traditional" woodworker, but enjoy seeing something out of the ordinary at times. Creating more groups means more unwanted crossposts. The only reason ABPW makes sense is that this newsgroup is strictly a non-binary discussion group.

I'm glad you brought it up. We've been looking to make a couple of changes here and have a moderator for the group. We need a volunteer for the spot. Are you interested? If so, just mention it and we will vote you in. Most of us agree on having a moderator, but we're just not sure how to go about it.
I hope you can and will help us.
Thanks, Ed
I kinda like the idea of a separate area for plans. Don't get me wrong though, I certainly don't mind JT's inspirational posts as it is now, and i do take the time to look at most of them. But there are many people who inquire just about plans and I'm sure many more of us who have many plans saved somewhere on the hard drive that could potentially be posted. (I know if I unloaded all the plans on my hard drive, it'd probably "tilt" a server or two!) It may complement a.b.p.w. as well. One could say "here's what i built, plans posted at rec.plans" or something. I guess I'm all for sharing as many resources as we can, and keeping them as easy to access as posssible. --dave p.s. keep up the good work JT.

alt.woodworking.plans already exists. Seems like nobody much is using it, though.
Have fun!
djb

It's not a binary newsgroup so I have to ask, would it be appropriate for the posting of binaries? Usenet etiquette would say no, but that doesn't deter everybody these days.