Performax benchtop sander

I'm giving serious thought to getting that benchtop sander made by Performax.

I've gotten interested in the gluing lamination technique of making curved parts. Ala David Marks (just to name a famous name doing it).

It seems like it would do the job for making the smaller parts needed for work like that, but obviously NOT something for panel work.

If you've got experience with this machine, what do you think of it? Is it really suitable for such a task? Is the quality of the machine good? How'd you handle the dust issue? Think a shop vac is enough for that?

Reply to
George Max

I seriously doubt a shop vac would come close to being adequate. To test your vac, put the biggest attachment on it and then hold it 3 or 4 inches above some sawdust. Does it suck the saw dust up quickly? Remember that the largest attachment may only be 1/3 the size of the actual sander attachment and performance will fall off even more. IIRC the typical shop vac only has about 1/10 to 1/4 the CFM of the typical entry level dust collector. From what I recall the performance of the sander is affected by dust collection performance. I would look into the specific CFM requirements of the sander before making the sander purchase and or a dust collector.

Reply to
Leon

I use a ShopVac on my Performax 16-32 and it is entirely adequate.

Reply to
dadiOH

No, don't chance it. If you don't adequately remove the sawdust generated, it will get between the sandpaper and wood and burn the wood and your paper. (Seen it happen) Think of it as an excuse to get a dust collector.

I'm not sure how much the benchtop drum sander costs, but this seems like something you'll really wish that you had bought the fullsized model down the road. I'd save up for the big one. If you do hardwood, you will use it on every project, and it's a huge time saver.

Reply to
bf

I've never tried my shop vac with my 22-44. I use my DC. It pulls all the dust from the sanding into the DC (and quickly reduces the efficiency because the fine dust coats the upper bag).

What do you mean it isn't for panel work?

Mine works great after some fiddling around to get the head level. The first few times I installed sandpaper I began to regret my decision, but a couple days later I got the hang of it so that I can change it in about a minute and a half.

Is David Marks actually famous? :) I know many woodworkers know his name and have seen his shows, but does that qualify as "famous"?

Dave

Reply to
David

George Max wrote: > I'm giving serious thought to getting that benchtop sander made by > Performax.

I would not waste my time with a toy, especially when low cost commercial service is available.

You need a serious machine if you expect to hold tolerances as well as handle sanding dust disposal.

Just finished having a 30"x30"x1/2" sanded to 3/8" as well as 9 drawer fronts that were about 6"x10" taken from 3/4" to 5/8".

Total cost: $30 and a pleasant hour of swapping lies with a delightful guy.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"George Max"

I have the Performax 16-32. 90% time I sand pieces that would fit in the bench model. The only concern I would have would be sanding longer pieces. The table and hold rollers may make building/using in-feed and out-feed tables. As for quality, it looks as well built as my 16-32. It's a pain to get it setup perfect, +- .010 inside - outside.

David Marks and many others, including myself, enjoy bent lamination. Its not as simple as Mr. Marks TV show depicts but it is very rewarding when it works.

If you can afford this machine, wait - buy a real dust collection system first. Your lungs and ears will thank you.

Dave

Teamcasa

Thanks for the tip on dust collecting. I'll be sure to give it the attention it deserves. Besides, it's the one thing SWMBO would be delighted to see arrive in my shop.

Reply to
George Max

Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
George Max

I currently take the large items (panels) to my hardwood dealer and feed them through their sander. I really like that.

But there's a limit - I don't think I'd ever be able to justify to myself the money it'd take to get one that's large enough to sand a tabletop or glueup for a panel. There's space constraints and the aforementioned dust collection issues.

OTOH, taking a lot of small pieces to the dealer and fiddling with that is both time consuming and a problem since I have to get the work their on their schedule.

Therefore my desire for that little sander.

Reply to
George Max

My intended use is the small strips for laminating to make curved drawer fronts or even something like that floor lamp David Marks made. That sort of thing.

More famous than I am. I guess fame is relative. Sam Maloof has pieces in the Smithsonian, and I think he's famous, but ask the ordinary joe who David Marks or Sam Maloof is and I'll bet you get a blank stare.

Reply to
George Max

Thanks for the pointer about tolerance on the thickness. I'll be sure to check that out.

Dust is an issue to be sure. I'll do what I have to in that regard if I get that or any other machine.

Now, my big stuff, I take to the hardwood store and put it through their machine. It's just about 36". But it'd cost me more than double that $30 for an hour of time on their machine. And there's the problem of going there to use it on their schedule. Also, some employees are very reluctant to let anyone go "back there." Not to mention the grit they're using and the fussiness of sanding little pieces in preparation for making the "sandwhich" to glue up.

Reply to
George Max

I believe you are correct. My brother and sister-in-law are in the furniture business (they represent several North Carolina manufacturers) and until last year they had never heard of Maloof.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

I would not class this as a toy. It is rather heavy and I think as solidly built as the larger models. So far I have only used it with parts (mainly oak) that fit within the 10 inch width so I cannot say how well it will do with two passes on wider stock. It does look relatively easy to adjust the drum to be parallel or up slightly as needed. While I do not have them, there are outfeed tables available for this model. John

Reply to
John

I use a large (and pretty powerful) shop vac with my Performax 10-20, and it seems to do the job. Just make sure you clean the filter OFTEN.

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

Wasn't there just a piece about a competitor coming out with a better feed, and taller capacity 16x32?

Maybe I saw it on woodcentral.com

Alan

Reply to
arw01

Reply to
william kossack

Well how small is small. I use a shop made fence with my spindle sander for narrow stuff. It works pretty well, but as the fence is just clamped on it's a little fussy making multiple passes. Loosen front clamp, nudge fence closer, tighten clamp.. You have to be careful not to take too hard of a pass or it will tend to dig in in spots. Can do about 7-8" wide board if I go through on both edges, though typically I only do about 2-3".

The next step up:

" capacity, pretty limited as far as thickness of the board though. I like that it takes regular paper and doesn't require any fancing wrapping though, And once it's setup it shouldn't require any fussing. High on my want list.

And then there's Grizzly's 12" drum.

-Leuf.

Reply to
Leuf

I don't know where you are located but here in SoCal there are four (4) commerical shops that I have heard about.

The one I use charges $26.50 to turn the machine on.

His equipment is definitely NOT DIY stuff.

It is very serious equipment.

Have you checked with any of the top shops in your area to see who they use for durm sanding?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett