Performax 22-44 PLUS

Today I went up to Woodworker's Depot (Green Bay, WI) for their sale. Choice was between the General 24" dual drum sander and the Performax 16-32. One was more than I really wanted to spend and the other was a bit smaller than I wanted.
I was surprised to find something new on the sales floor - the Performax 22-44 Plus. Think of the 16-32 on steroids. This is a new model and not even listed on the WMH (Performax) web site yet. It is in the 2004 catalog.
This seems to be the perfect solution to my dilema. Set up took less than an hour. This is a nice rigid tool with heavy castings. With the open stand it weighs a bit under 400 lbs. Casters would be good bet. Depending on stand option figure in the neighborhood of $1000 (minus the 10% sale discount).
Nice and quiet, very smooth (passes the nickel test). So far, I have just played around a bit and it seems to work very well. I will post more as I do some upcoming projects.
Mark Bronkalla www.bronkalla.com - 50 mph furniture www.wiscwoodworkersguild.org - President
I whined and whined, but SWMBO wouldn't let me go down there. Nice to see someone's the ruler of his house.

Not ruler, SWMBO is co-conspirator. Ia almost didn't go and was going to order the general off the web. She talked me into going and being sure (maybe also hoping I would go for the less expensive one).
Realizing the price savings over what we had budgeted, I ended up with tenoning jig and 10 Bessey K body clamps as well (joint sweetest day present).
To "pay" for the sander I ahve to get a dresser built. Just finished 4 night stands. Remember, every project requires a tool...

What is the "thickness" that it can sand? Am looking for one that can do 4".
Mark Bronkalla wrote:

It will JUST do 4". That is the measurement at the upper stop limit. So if you need a full 4" final finished thickness, it may still come up short.
Thanks much, the most I would really do is 3-7/8. Go for a bit of extra.
Jim in Milwaukee