Performax 16-32 vs. 22-44 opinions needed...

Greetings all,
I'm in the market for a smallish drum sander, and I am looking at either the Performax 16-32 or 22-44. Anyone have any practical experiences / observations / opinions to share?
Many thanks,
Jon.
Jon Parry wrote:

I have heard over and over from people disappointed that these sanders do not function that well for thickness sanding.
I would say if you want to take off 0.25" off something you run it through a thickness planer first. Other than that, I've only heard good stuff about them.
--
gabriel

I have the new "Junior" version of the Performax: the 10-20. I find it to be a brilliant tool for what it is, and it does just fine for 98% of my needs, costs less, and takes up less room. For $25 a local cabinet builder will run any large pieces through their commercial unit. My only regret is that I didn't have it 5 years ago when I began building guitars: hand-thicknessing all the parts to the nearest 0.1 mm is a real pain, I believe. However, as Gabriel indicated, I would go to the planer to remove more than 1/8" or so . . .
As for the original question, a local Delta dealer had a compelling argument for the Delta vs the Performax 16-32. No surpise there I suppose. I don't recall his exact argument though. American Woodworker liked the Performax in the below review:
http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker/toolguide/TT_DrumSanders.pdf
Cheers,
Scott
message
: As for the original question, a local Delta dealer had a compelling : argument for the Delta vs the Performax 16-32. No surpise there I : suppose.
Actually, that's some surprise. There are a LOT of negative comments on the Delta, and few, if any, on the Performax.
When I bought mine, it was a really clear choice: superb reviews for Performax, mediocre to abysmal for the Delta.
        -- Andy Barss
"Jon Parry"

No experience whatsoever, but I've seen both. Seems to me the 22-44 plus is the same as the 16-32 plus, with some refinements. The 22-44 plus will slow the feed down if current draw to the motor exceeds some limit. The 22-44 plus also seems to have some subtle improvements to the castings that improve rigidity and make the machine easier to assemble and service. Makes sense - the 22-44 plus was clearly designed later after things were learned making the 16-32 plus.
So - I bought a 22-44 plus. Seems 19" or more of capacity is a good size. Lots of 18" doors out there. Be interesting to hear from some people who have used the thing awhile, though.
- Nate
Actually the 22-44 has been around just as long if not longer than the 16-32. They used to offer it (may still) in a radial arm saw converion too. When I bought my 16-32 some 8-9 years ago the 22-44 was available then as well as a huge 50" version.
Jim
Oh and to answer the OP, I love the 16-32, use it everyday and it performs perfectly.

is
that
Makes
learned
"James D Kountz"

I was speaking of the 22-44 PLUS. You are speaking of something else.
- Nate
Have you ever ran pine through it..if soo how long before belts gum up? Jim

plus
size.
who
Jon, I have the 16-32 It is a useful tool. However, it is not a planer. If you use it as a drum sander you will enjoy it. Dave

Jon, I have a 16-32. It is a good sander, gives a fine finish, Paper is easy to change. The only nagging problem is keeping the drum and the table (feeder) aligned, although this is due to the the cantilever design. You just have to check and adjust regularly.
Rob

News==----
Newsgroups
=---