perfect project for the scraps

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini-Golf-Accessories-Level-3-Kit/T25129
not sure about the small wooden flag i think cloth or leather would be better for that
has to be painted green too pretty sure the project can done without need for the plans
Electric Comet wrote:

All of those screws look tacky (to me).
On 4/14/2016 5:12 PM, Bill wrote:

It was designed for kids. I imagine an experienced woodworker could take a few hours and come up with a way to eliminate them. Nah, that would be hard to do.
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 17:36:22 -0400

that is funny a few hours sounds about right
might use staples and set the depth so the staple sticks out just a little
golfing is supposed to be frustrating so those staples will help with that
On Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 5:36:23 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

...but a great teaching moment for the kid.
Adult: "Do you think it would look better without the screws?"
Kid, Option 1: "No"
Adult: "Then you have no eye for aesthetics. Go play in traffic."
Kid, Option 2: "Yes"
Adult: "OK, let's figure out a way to make that happen."
Disclaimer: I do not condone the practice of actually suggesting that children play in traffic.
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 09:45:56 -0700 (PDT)

it seems that now if you can get them interested in woodworking you let them be because that by itself is hard to do let alone being so bold to tell them how to do it
On Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 12:14:43 AM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:

"Do you think it would look better without the screws?" is a question, not a command. A good teacher takes his cue from both the response and (hopefully) his understanding of the student's personality.
Some students want to extract as much information from the teacher as possible, others want to learn on their own. A good teacher (and parent) recognizes each type of personality and adjusts his teaching methods to fit.
I have 4 kids. (They are all adults now.) #1 and #4 welcome my suggestions and we build on those suggestions together. #2 welcomes my suggestions and then expands on them to the n-th degree without any further prompting from me. #3 simply wants to know the answer to the exact question that *she* asked. If she wants or needs more information, *she* will ask.
It took me many years to figure out how to deal with #3 because I wanted to teach. Once I figured what she was looking for, our relationship improved immensely.
On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 11:55:18 -0700 (PDT)

so true
good baseball managers also have this trait
they get a group of guys and if the manager is good he figures out how to win with that group of guys
the notion applies to almost any position and parents are sure no exception but sadly some never figure that out
as a whole i would say humanity is doing better at this than in the past
On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 4:44:27 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:

"as a whole" Classic :)
btw, Don't you think any manager is encumbered with this challenge?
On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 4:44:27 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:

So now it's OK if the adult asks "Do you think it would look better without the screws?"?

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 20:08:37 -0700 (PDT)

i missed that you were looking for an argument
On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 1:47:51 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:

Shall I remind you of something you said to me:
"it seems that now if you can get them interested in woodworking you let them be because that by itself is hard to do let alone being so bold to tell them how to do it"
On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 11:05:07 -0700 (PDT)

my position was clearly stated scrutiny is good and required but too often and it can backfire i do not believe in free reign either it is a fine line to walk as you said the approach to criticism is different for everyone
posing a question might be a productive approach
for example
nice putting practice green you made anything you would do different next time
then you could ask want to hear my opinions
some people insist on imposing themselves into and onto everything

Oh, the irony!
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 17:12:07 -0400

not insurmountable
mix a little fine sawdust with some glue and cover the screws sand paint green
the hardest part will be finding the right green for a green
Bill wrote:

Sorry, I mentioned it! ; )