Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

same here. skeez
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Don't be hypocrits. The making more money thing is temporary until a price war breaks out. This usually happens very soon in competitive industries. Once a proce war is on, the prices come down and everyone is happy because they paid less.
Just look at WalMart, they truly have lower prices, and part of the reason is that they hired a cheaper company that hired illegal immigrant labor.
The moral of the story: Americans, by shopping in droves at WalMart, are causing this on themselves. There's not other way about it. Companies are not going to complain about getting cheap labor, specially if they expand their marketshare. It is up to the citizens (who are too busy shopping at WalMart) to initiate the reform.
The big, big losers in this are unskilled (or low-skilled) american workers whcih are being replaced by cheap labor. Both here and abroad. The bad thing is that skilled jobs are also leaving the country, and americans do not cry about that at all.
--
gabriel

um please if you are gonna quote me quote only me. and BTW we do worry about high tech jobs going overseas. that has been a part of the disscusion here too. even if it aint bout woodworkin.
Walker wrote:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I know this one!
PURPLE!!!
UA100
UA100 responds:

Wrong! Three chimes.
Charlie Self "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html

damn...
UA100
(SteveC1280)

A better solution would be the Sales Tax only system.. Then you could choose how to pay your taxes, or not to. I have been involved in the creation of many "off-shore" positions (I.T.) to Montreal. The main reason my company did it was that Wall Street expects it to happen now or the company doesn't look like they are in control of their labor costs. It has nothing to do with legalizing foreign labor. It has everything to do with stock price. I guess pretty soon, I'll be going over the wall to Mexico looking for a job.
Greg

the
tax base because we are not keeping up with population growth enough to keep up with government spending!!
That should be simple. To make more of us higher paid workers out of touch with employers. If your not seeing this your not seeing to good are you?

opening up the gates so foreigners can take the jobs we have left? <<
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in

BZZZZZ. Wrong.
The true problem isn't with corporate america it is with Americans. Corporate America does what it does to maximize profits. Why? Because the stockholders demand it. Who are these evil stockholders that force our corporations to outsource high paying jobs to low wage countries? You YOU and ME. We all have 401Ks now. We are all in the "market" one way or the other.
Now why is there illegal immagration? The same answer as above. It is because of you and me. Why? Because when we go grocery shopping we shop for the lowest price goods. If farmers could pay $10.00 an hour for orange pickers then oranges would cost $10.00 a pound at the grocery store instead of $0.99. You want to end the demand for cheap labor then get off your but and stop demanding low cost goods.
I made a workbench for a friends grandson. It was a fun project and I did it for the fun of it. When I got done I had 20 hours of labor in it and $50.00 in materials. She gave me $125.00 for it. Why? Because she could go out and buy a store bought one simular that was made in China for about the same amount. So I made 75/20 or $3.75 an hour. To have made a "living wage" off of it I would have had to charge $250 - $300 of of it. There is no way that a "toy" her grandson is going to beat on with a hammer is worth that.
Do don't blame the illegal imagrants, or corporate America, blame yourself - all of you/us are the problem.
The next time you shop a sale, or purchase a product based on price then just remember you are the cause.
By the way - all of the "you"s in this are the global you, not charliediy.

If the price of oranges would go up 1000% if the farmer paid $10/hr, they must be paying the pickers about $.01/hour. The percentage of the retail price of an orange that goes to farm labor is probably less 3%.
Brian Elfert

hm.. ive realy tried to see your reasoning but it makes no sense. the reason it makes no sense is because of the differen values of the dollar. people working in say pakistan can and do work for much less money than we do here because the us dollar is worth much more in pakistan than it is here. our minimum home in my area is around 100,000 dollars but the minimum home in pakistan is probly 10% of that so those folks are living just as good on the money they make as we are on what we make. those illegals that come here are willling to live with 4 or 5 or more families under the same roof. are you? am i? i think not. they come from poverty so those living conditions are a huge step up for them. us corporations only concider the bottom line. they do not care about their workers needs only the bottom line. sad but true. if they can cut prodution costs by 50% then that 50% goes in their pockets not ours. sure the stockholders make a little but not nearly as much as the corporate execs. if you think your 401k is gonna suport you when you are too old to work think again my friend. with inflation you will likley need a second income just to keep your home much less eat. i dont know what the answer is either but at the rate we are going there will no longer be a middle class in this country before too long. there will be rich and poor period. and without the working middle class we are doomed. skeez
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says... ...snip

Slight? Slight my butt! Every time I call DirecWay satellite support, I have to struggle to understand the Eastern Indian accent trying to talk to me.

Yeah, they're really, really good at apologizing and saying they are sorry.
says... ... snip

You know, I understand your frustration. But, much as I despise what the Republicrat wing of the Republican party has done, I can't imagine having somebody like Dean or Kerry (who voted to cancel the F-15, the F- 14, the Patriot missile system, the Aegis missile cruiser system, cut funds to the F-16, the Tomahawk missile system -- i.e. every major defense system in our inventory) in charge of our defense. Especially given the current environment with Al Queada continuing to plan additional attacks on the US.
On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 03:12:23 GMT, Mark & Juanita

Why, all we have to do is ignore them, pull all American interests, public and private, back home, and forcibly convert the entire nation to Islam and then the poor misunderstood peaceful practitioners of Islam will leave us alone.
Well, actually, I suspect they'd go after someone else, possibly the UK or Russia, maybe even Japan.
Mike
Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
On 05 Feb 2004 08:53:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Truer words were never said Charlie - And the immigration problem is a direct result of complicity between big government and big business to keep your wages low - supply and demand baby - just like the war on drugs, it's all a sham. Yeah that taco is getting more expensive by the minute. But corporate greed is only starting to rear it's ugly head - next thing to look for is outsourcing of higher paying jobs to India and similar third world countries by the IBM's and the financial institutions; this is going on right now behind our backs while the media concentrates it's news on nonexistent WMD's. We're slowly but surely all getting dragged down to the lowest common denominator where we'll be competing directly with Chinese peasants for work - I say we should stop this global madness now before it's too late. I hope I haven't offended any executive types out there, but your days are numbered too.
I believe that has already happened... Import automobiles have a heavy tax burden that brings the prices more in line with the American built cars.

Even if there is a tax burden, Korean built cars are still less expensive than USA built cars, at least on the low end.
Brian Elfert
I guess the point I was trying to make is that if people are forced to choose one product over another, they will resent it. Build a better product at a competitive price and you will not need the government to heavily tax items that we want to buy.
writes:

tax
On 04 Feb 2004 14:41:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comremove (SteveC1280) wrote:

BUY MADE IN USA!