Penn State or Jet Dust Collector?

I have a two-car shop that I use for weekend WW. I am looking for a 1100

- 1350 CFM dust collector to use with my table saw, jointer, planner and router table. I have narrowed my choices down to:

  1. Jet DC-1100A (9.99 + tax) with 5-micron bag from local dealer
  2. Penn State DC250SE (9.99 + shipping) with 5-micron bag and 50' hose.

I am leaning towards the Penn State, but I was wondering about their quality and reliability. Anyone have any comments, recommendations, or advise?

Is 1100-1350 CFM sufficient for a one man 25x25 shop? I suspect I will always just be a part-time WW :( and I don't want to have to upgrade in a few years because I bought small (have already learned the hard way to buy once, cry once...vice buy and buy again). The size of my shop and amount of work I do does not justify a cyclone system IMHO.

TIA

John

Reply to
John Mohn

I am in the same situation, pretty much, and my research (google archives of this group) has led me to believe that a 1HP DC is good enough. And the retired-engineer/WWer at the local Woodcraft told me the same -- even for a planer or jointer. The question is whether you will be running more than one dust-generating tool at a time. And, I suppose, how big in diam. the hoses will be and their length and turns. Now, if you have all of your machines hooked up at once and no blast gates, then a bigger machine is needed -- like how much AC do you need if your kids leave the front door open all the time. But if the DC is in the same small shop area and you have blast gates or switch the hose as needed, maybe not. Anyway, I am looking at the Jet 1HP machine, which is a bit more $$ but I've seen better reviews versus Grizzly and Delta. FWIW.

PS: For cook>I have a two-car shop that I use for weekend WW. I am looking for a 1100

Reply to
Igor

I have a Penn-State. It has worked well, except after a year the cheap plastic wheels broke off. I replaced that with rubber swivels and it works great. I'd look at Grizzly. Get at least a 2HP, and get one that can be optionally converted to 220 volts.

Reply to
Phisherman

I got the Grizz - never had a problem - never undersized - more "suck" for the buck! ;-)

Jums

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

once you put in that separator your back down to the smaller unit's airflow. but grizzly is full of bull on the airflow. no way a 12" impeller will dow 1550 cfms unless it is turbo charged (G)

Reply to
Steve Knight

only if you have a short hose and wheel it to each machine. if you want to run pipe to each machine with blast gages you need more. even the 2hp machines will really only power one outlet well.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Hey, if I _had_ a short hose, I wouldn't have to wheel it around, would I?

Reply to
Igor

My Penn State DC1BXL does fine for my 1 man shop. $219 with 1 micron bags, too.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Heck

Steve,

would buying the Griz 2hp now.. and then later building a cyclone be a good move? what parts would I need in addition to the Griz components?

cyclone filters (how many?) mounting

is the blower on the griz fine for making a cyclone?

please elaborate..

thx much

Reply to
coloradotrout