Pencil Box Plans and designs

Anybody got an plans or designs for a child's pencil box they would like to share - especially methods for keeping a lid shut. TIA

Reply to
Jock

Make a sliding lid that fits in a dado. You can secure it closed with a twist button on the end if you need to.

--RC

Reply to
Rick Cook

Thats how I made them for my kids too - sliding top. I think I made the sides 2" tall, put the bottom of 1/4" Luaun plywood about a 1/4" up from the bottom & the top groove down about 1/2". If you do any kind of round over or trim to the top of the piece, you need to cut off the one end so the top slides over it. You'll need to cut a third piece with the same top so you get the trim piece to glue on to the top so it matches. I just made up 3 end pieces for every box. I made every one of them a different size, but did find I didn't like long thin ones - my boys found them to be good weapons in a pinch. My daughter still has one that is 7" square (2" high) for her colored pencil collection.

Reply to
Jim

I made one for my son using the same methods. A week into KG the teacher asked us to take it home. The boy wouldn;t stop playing with it...now it's my drill box :)

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes