pedestal dining table: base size vs table top size

I acquired a used 52" round table top. The former owner ruined the legs from long storage in a wet basement. Looking at the bottom of the table, I think it had a pedestal base. This thing is a monster-- it has 4 leaves and extra legs to fold down when it's expanded.
I'd like to build or buy a new base for it. Is there a formula for figuring out how wide the legs need to spread so the table is sturdy & won't tip?
I've seen a few pedestals for sale that are max 8" diameter with 12" legs, but that seems way too small for a 52" top. Can anyone suggest a source for a larger one?
Thanks!
Our 42" pedestal table has feet with about 35" spread.