Pecan Cracker Plans?

Has anyone seen a good DIY plan for a pecan cracker? After doing battle with the squirrels I have a couple of buckets full and need a cracker of some kind. Manual model or something more exotic with electric motor?
What have you seen out there that might work?
Google only like the nutcracker plays and such....
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:34:19 -0400, Mark Hopkins

Alton Brown used an Adjustable-brand (Jorgy's parent) C-clamp from the hardware store on his fruitcake episode of Good Eats. A four incher, iirc.

Is it bad form to watch a cooking show to see what culinary uses AB will find for tools? The Dewalt powered pepper mill was cool...although I think he has wisely refrained from recreating the router-powered cake mixer :)
Rob
Rob Walters wrote:

I especially liked the 36" Northfield cake layer maker. Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

The best nut cracker I've ever used are channel lock pliers. They work great for hickory nuts and I suspect they would work on the pecans too. Setting the depth of closure is the key.
Bryan

Pecan cracker? PECAN cracker??? We don't need no steenkin' pecan cracker. We Florida crackers just squeeze one pecan (pronounced pee' kan) against the other. This is our favorite method when we ride our bicycles up to Climax (just imagine the jokes, folks) Georgia and take a rest under the pecan trees by the gazebo.
Dick Durbin Take note, Steve Knight; the traffic is light and we don't get hit.

Thanks for your joking around. I opened up this thread thinking I was going to get some good Southern humour and was disappointed to find that the thread was actually ON TOPIC.
Gerry
G.E.R.R.Y. did say:

Kidding? All factual. I live a little south of Climax in Havana (pronounced Hay' vana). It's all true. I usually ride out of Calvary and steal my pecans there though...
Russ
--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

That's why you folks in Florida HAVE to come to Georgia. Its because we make the best pecan logs, pies, etc anywhere. It takes you guys too long to crack them.
Joking aside... I have a few trees that are loaded down this year and have so far gathered 2 5 gallon buckets full in the past couple of days. I am sure there are a couple more out there by now. I was looking for a nice solution to cracking one at a time and thought there might be a really cool plan out there somewhere.
I really love pecan pies too!

Thu, Oct 21, 2004, 10:29pm snipped-for-privacy@leadersbyexample.com (MarkHopkins) says: <snip> I was looking for a nice solution to cracking one at a time andthought there might be a really cool plan out there somewhere. <snip>
Actually, there is. I've seen some. But, I'm not interested in any, so didn't look. But, wouldn't be real hard to make something like this. http://www.rubylane.com/shops/dryheat/item/DH-470
If you take the time to look, I'm sure you could find some plans. Even free.
JOAT Eagles can soar ... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
replying to Mark Hopkins, KEN ...... N EAST N.C wrote:

SO FAR THIS YEAR I HAVE PICKED UP 8 BUSHELS OF PECANS FROM 4 TREES AND IT LOOKS LIKE I AM GOING TO HAVE 8 MORE BY THE END .
KEN ...... N EAST N.C wrote:

turn. I have a powered pecan cracker I would love to sell. It sits under a shed in the wind and I am tired of standing out in the cold running it.
--
 GW Ross

 If a really stupid person becomes
Thu, Oct 21, 2004, 4:05pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@tfn.net (DickDurbin) says: Pecan cracker? PECAN cracker??? We don't need no steenkin' pecan cracker. We Florida crackers just squeeze one pecan (pronounced pee' kan) against the other. <snip>
Hmm, I guess some culture is finally catching on down there. That's exactly how I do it too, up north, in NC. On the other hand, I do note you leave the state before you do it, and even then steal the pecans.
JOAT Eagles can soar ... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in message

Naw, man. Them's public domain pecans.
Now, this Sunday morning we are doing our Tour of the Middle East. We are riding our bikes from Calvary, GA to Cairo (pronounced KAY' roh), GA. With any luck, we'll come upon some free range pecans.
Dick Durbin