Pear wood

We have a pear tree in the back yard, the trunk is about 8 inch diameter at the base and maybe 4 1/2 feet tall, my wife wants to cut it down, is the wood potentially good for anything?
--
Froz...

If nothin else, it's great for smokin on the BBQ
If you are a wood turner, it turns well. If you are not a turner, you might see if a friend would like it.
Deb
FrozenNorth wrote:

On Sat, 26 May 2012 14:39:42 -0400, FrozenNorth

It's a fruit tree and cherry is a fruit tree too. Cherry is a desirable wood as long as it's finished properly by staining it to look like some other wood or, better yet, by painting it.
Maybe pear would work well too. Give it a try.
Yep it works well.
I have used it a couple of times.
It starts out as a very white wood. If left unstained some of it will turn a soft mellow brown...
I didn't know that when I carved some handles, a few years down the road they are a soft mellow brown. I had given the piece to a friend whom I just saw recently, and thought my memory had been playing with me. When I realized that it had aged on its own.
I lost a tree in Oct and recently milled it on my band saw .. it's drying now.. Looking for a similar use since the pieces are rather small.
On 5/26/2012 2:39 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

Do you know any wood turners. I have seen some nice vases and turning sculpture done with apple. Gotta think pear is in a similar class.
On 5/26/12 6:37 PM, RonB wrote:

Don't know any turners, but that seems to be the consensus, western part of Toronto, Ontario, if anybody knows anyone, they are welcome to have it.
Even better if they have their own chainsaw...don't think my reciprocating saw will cut it down. :-)
--
Froz...

Pear heart wood can be beautiful. Don't know how much you will have on an 8" trunk, probably not much.
On Sat, 26 May 2012 14:39:42 -0400, FrozenNorth

Just ask Krenov.

If it's sapient you try making The Luggage. :-)
Sorry could not resist.
Luigi
Crotch sctions would likely look nice. A turner or carver would appreciate it. http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/pearwood.htm
Sonny

I have turned and carved pear wood. Most of what I had was from a 150 year old tree and was pinkish in the center. Pear is highly prized for woodwind instruments, like Recorders. It is easy to turn but a bit harder to hand carve, but well worth the effort.
I made a nostepinne from one piece of that tree...
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii235/AMDHamm/PearNostepinnesm.jpg
`Casper
Would be good for pen blanks. I know, if I were closer, I would take some for turning.
Dan J

Cool. To figure out WTH a "nostepinne" was, I googled it and watched the video of how to wind one o' them pups.
Then I saw this and checked it out. I see you and raise you one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=WVdzP53X9vw
<wink>
-- When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake. -- Stephanie Barron (Something for the Powers That Be to remember, eh?)