Pear wood

We have a pear tree in the back yard, the trunk is about 8 inch diameter at the base and maybe 4 1/2 feet tall, my wife wants to cut it down, is the wood potentially good for anything?

Reply to
FrozenNorth

If nothin else, it's great for smokin on the BBQ

Reply to
ChairMan

If you are a wood turner, it turns well. If you are not a turner, you might see if a friend would like it.

Deb

FrozenNorth wrote:

Reply to
Dr. Deb

It's a fruit tree and cherry is a fruit tree too. Cherry is a desirable wood as long as it's finished properly by staining it to look like some other wood or, better yet, by painting it.

Maybe pear would work well too. Give it a try.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Yep it works well.

I have used it a couple of times.

It starts out as a very white wood. If left unstained some of it will turn a soft mellow brown...

I didn't know that when I carved some handles, a few years down the road they are a soft mellow brown. I had given the piece to a friend whom I just saw recently, and thought my memory had been playing with me. When I realized that it had aged on its own.

I lost a tree > We have a pear tree in the back yard, the trunk is about 8 inch diameter

Reply to
tiredofspam

Do you know any wood turners. I have seen some nice vases and turning sculpture done with apple. Gotta think pear is in a similar class.

Reply to
RonB

Don't know any turners, but that seems to be the consensus, western part of Toronto, Ontario, if anybody knows anyone, they are welcome to have it.

Even better if they have their own chainsaw...don't think my reciprocating saw will cut it down. :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Just ask Krenov.

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Pear heart wood can be beautiful. Don't know how much you will have on an 8" trunk, probably not much.

Reply to
EXT

If it's sapient you try making The Luggage. :-)

Sorry could not resist.

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Crotch sctions would likely look nice. A turner or carver would appreciate it.

Sonny

I have turned and carved pear wood. Most of what I had was from a 150 year old tree and was pinkish in the center. Pear is highly prized for woodwind instruments, like Recorders. It is easy to turn but a bit harder to hand carve, but well worth the effort.

I made a nostepinne from one piece of that tree...

`Casper

Reply to
Casper

Would be good for pen blanks. I know, if I were closer, I would take some for turning.

Dan J

Reply to
Dan Jefferson

the video of how to wind one o' them pups.

Then I saw this and checked it out. I see you and raise you one:

a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake. -- Stephanie Barron (Something for the Powers That Be to remember, eh?)

Reply to
Larry Jaques