PC7518 speed control problem

Sometimes my 7518 can't control the lowest speed. It spins way too fast and then slows down to under 500 RPM before speeding up again. I'm trying to run a panel bit (3-1/4") and need it to turn SLOWLY. The second lowest speed is consistent, but I want to use the slowest speed.

Anyone know of any tricks to fix this at home? do you know how much the defective part costs? Is it a logic board or a sensor? I called PC last year about it and they said they know that model does that, but this is ridiculous because it'll go FULL speed, which is scary with that large of a bit on it.

Dave

Reply to
David

That is apparently an inherent problem with that old router design. I read a magazine test of most all the big routers. They had the same problem with this router and got the same answer that you did. Apparently this all smoothes out when you actually start feeding stock and the circuitry has something to measure against IIRC. If the router is still new I would return it and get another model all together. That router is an old standard but has been IMHO out done by the competition in the last 2 or 3 years. Milwaukee or Triton would be my choice. I went with the Triton a couple of years ago after looking at the big router offerings. Almost got the Milwaukee.

Reply to
Leon

Mine doesn't smooth out. It slows down to nearly a stop after feeding about 1' of stock. On the next all the other settings it's fine.

Dave

Reply to
David

New router? Return it. PC has problems that they admit are normal so I suspect you are going to have to live with it. I suspect an inherent problem that falls within their tolerance specs.

Reply to
Leon

As if! over 3 years old. When it comes to a near stop, I don't think that meets even the most lenient "specs", Leon. LOL!

Dave

Reply to
David

Ouch... I'd replace the switch and or speed control and then maybe have a garage sale.

Reply to
Leon

I've got a fortune in a 7518-specific router lift, so I need to have a

7518. Otherwise I'd craigslist it and get another type of router.

Dave

Reply to
David

Yeah. It should last a life time. I'd replace the switches and give at least one more try. Fortunately most the big routers now do not require a separate lift. I almost bought that router in 1989.

Reply to
Leon

That router is the reason I got away from PC routers. They were a mainstay for many years, AAMOF, the only game in town for big horsepower. When they went to the slightly smaller diameter motor bodies, things went from bad to worse. They simply will not last one year under the conditions in my shop. I get better mileage from Hitachi..

Reply to
Robatoy