PC ROS

question for others using a ROS w/H&L pad. Recently the local borg has started carrying the norton paper with a combo set of holes to fit both 8 and 5 hole pads. Besides seeming to be a lot less sandpaper I have noticed my H&L pad is loosing its grip. With all the extra holes in the pad I am thinking that I have ruined the pad -- anyone else experience this, or am I nuts ? I've tried to revive the H&L with a brash brush, but it did not help much. Its getting to the point that the paper flys off the pad if I pick it up off the work surface.

Now I am faced with getting the sander fixed -- a new H&L pad goes for ~$22 and with shipping comes to ~$27. Now ordinarily this would not seem odd -- except that I can get a new 333 on Amazon for ~$64, new motor plus pad for about twice the cost of a replacement pad alone

Reply to
Sam the Cat

I have a PC 5 hole and a DW 8 hole. I tried the Norton paper and won't use it again. Not serious yet, but I think some of the hooks are clogged a bit too. Now I keep 100 grit on one and 220 on the other. Simplifies selection.

In case you are wondering, no I did not intentionally buy two different styles. The PC I bought first, the DW was a freebie when I bought my miter saw.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The hooks on the pads do wear out after awhile changing discs and the pad's need to be replaced.

Reply to
Rumpty

I thought the replacement pads were more like $15, but it's been about a year since I last bought some---

They (the pads) to wear out...a thorough cleaning w/ cleaning liquid may help a little for a while but one the "sticky" starts to lessen they're toast before long...

If you use much volume, I'd recommend going w/ PSA instead of H&L--much cheaper in the long run at only a slight (imo) inconvenience. The advantage of switching from one grit to another and back w/ the same sheet is the only advantage and at the much cheaper cost of PSA, that isn't that big a deal...ymmv, etc.

Regarding abrasives, I've used either Klingspor or the Mirka from Amazon--both are much better quality/longer-lived than the HD-carried Norton and probably less than half the cost...

Only problem w/ Klingspor is they don't seem to have much in the 5-hole PSA.

One can also buy bulk rolls of PSA paper at the local auto-body supply at much less than the Borg retail prices.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I consider my PC 333 to be a disposable tool. Like cheap cordless drills from Sears, when they break or wear out, I give them to the Salvation Army and buy a new one, hopefully something higher on the food chain.

I have used the multi-hole paper with no problems.

Reply to
bob

Reply to
Phisherman

B&D or PC, you mean?

Re: PC, the new, improved version w/ the internal "belt" (actually just an o-ring) to stop the unloaded spin is a major reversal for heavy usage--it overheats as it simply adds friction as it goes round 'n round which is uncomfortable holding the thing around the barrel and shortens bearing life. I take it off first thing. The later ones (purchased last couple of years or so) do seem to die quicker than the first one I got quite some time earlier--I could no longer say when. That said, they've been going through some real abusive work prepping the barn for painting and I basically also think of them as throwaway for the purpose.

I don't think the more expensive are worth the cost differential, however.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth