PC or Hitachi router?

Page 1 of 2

Need some help to decide between Porter-Cable 2.25 hp router ( http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?eT7&pH55 ) or the Hitachi 2.25 ( http://www.hitachipowertools.com/store_item.php?iID#5&arrPath=1,12,61,p235,# ) . Has anyone had the Hitachi for a while? Had any problems? I've used the PC before, off and on but never the Hitachi.
Thanks
I have 2 PCs and no Hitachi, happy with all both. and last year got a 2.25 Bosch combo, I can not say enought about this one, it is just greate. Hitachi from other hand is not bad too I guess, but I would not get it over PC, Bosch and or Makita. Maybe someone can say more about Hitachi. MaxEN
Jimmy wrote:

I use Hitachi TR-12 for continuous production. They last about 6 months and then I throw them away. At that point they cost more to repair than get new.

Not sure if that answers his question about the viability of Hitachi routers. 'Continuous production' will quickly wear out most any consumer router, Porter Cable included.

Exactly! We have found that the Hitachi is the best deal per dollar/hour. I think that should translate to whatever duty-cycle with me being at one end and the hobbyist being at the other end. A hobbyist might never wear it out and it's cheap so, it logically follows that a more expensive unit wouldn't have a pay-back to justify the additional expense. Sorry, I'm not a good communicator, but do you see what I'm getting at?

So what you're in effect saying then, is that you feel the Hitachi is a good purchase for the end user.

in the router table its entire existence. Moldings, roundovers and countless pieces from patterns. The M12V hasn't skipped a beat.
.

Ayup, (in my opinion)
I've got a Hitachi and been using it in my shop for about 25 years of trouble free use. It was a TR-8. My only regret is not buying a TR-12 to accept up to 1/2" shanks for the router bits.

Many brands are good, and the excellent ones are so expensive that you can buy two Porter Cable routers for the same money. Personally, I'd stick with the PC brand--it is reasonably priced, good quality, and parts/accessories easily available. Makita and Hitachi are decent brands.
I;ve had a TR-12 for over 10 years of light duty, the posts need to be lubed once every six months for smooth plunging. BUT I know of no one who has bought and used the latest Hitachi routers. They are on sale at Lowes and I am thinking of getting them and a woodhaven adapter to use on a router lift I bought.
Alan
Jimmy wrote:

PC would be my choice. Without getting into a lot of minutia see the http://patwarner.com/selecting_router.html link. It might be that a single tool will not work for all of the procedures you think it will. _____________________________________________________________ Jimmy wrote:

I'd not buy the Hitachi. It's ugly. No other reason.
I agree with the ugly. I'm not to fond of Hitachi's new tennis shoe inspired look. The thing that struck me about the router though was that it only comes with a 1/4" collet. Is a half inch available? How hard is it to find?

CW wrote: > The thing that struck me about the router though was that it only > comes with a 1/4" collet. Is a half inch available? How hard is it to find?
Looks like 1/4 & 1/2 are standard.
Lew
In the ad he referenced, it only mentions a 1/4". Didn't sound right to me as most come with both.

The parts list shows the 1/2". The ad says it comes with a 1/4", but I think they mean it is an accessory, not the standard collet. It is also listed with other accessories.
Jimmy wrote:

replacing them, they went to a smaller motor body and quality just went down from there. I could no longer justify the cost of the PC production units and started looking for a high horse-power alternatives. I tried a M12V Hitachi and did everything I could to kill it. To no avail. It (and I have bough many since then to expand capabilities) still runs like a top today. Huge power, quiet (for a universal motor) and these days, they're cheap as dirt. Its down-side is that it is a bit top-heavy, the base a bit small (I put bigger feet on them). I have said it before and will say it again... best bang for the buck. For "all-day" trimming and shaping, I use the Milwaukee 2.25 HP routers. Just love those red puppies. I own Fein and Festool equipment as well... so 'cheap' isn't the overriding factor. Performance is.
"Robatoy" wrote in message

I'm thinking many of the folks who tout PC today haven't been around long enough to remember what they once were. The last two I have "acquired" have not stood up to hard use, not abuse, to the point that, on the plunge model, I have to keep a 1/2" socket driver handy because the plastic adjustment parts keep breaking/falling off.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

That must be why B&D was so interested in purchasing Delta & PC. The PC was becoming the new B&D. :~)