PC has infiltrated The Wreck.

Page 2 of 2

Well that certainly does explain why the broadcast news has become more of a comedy and or entertainment rather than a source for accurate factual news.

Like the weather forecast: May or may not be sunny, not available in all states, void where prohibited by law, consult your doctor before going outside, can have side-effects like warmth.
I mean, in regular news, there he is, standing there with blood- spatters all over him, knife in hand, mumbling something about the bitch deservd to die..and the media HAS to refer to him as an 'alleged' offender.
Everything you hear/read from Big Media is sooo filtered through legal departments, that I can't stand watching shit on ABCCBSNBCFOX-type stations any more.

As per usual...wtf are you talking about, Toller?

I will try to put it even simpler, so you can understand... I didn't read your original post. Most people didn't read your original post. There is no reason for you to comment on it. Now do you get it?

You are commenting on a post you didn't read?

And you know this because,,,,,

Now you have even lost me.

Anybody in particular in mind?
Robert

There are a few here. You're certainly not one of them. (You are more liberal than you know<G>)
Robatoy wrote: | Honest to goodness. | | People are trying to tear down this last bastion where we can speak | what we feel.
I think I reacted most strongly, and that certainly wasn't my intent - but I may be somewhat culturally crippled by growing up in a part of the world where people never felt a need to extend their "weapon hand" to express peaceful greetings. I'm sorry I misunderstood.
| I refuse to cow-tow to the anal, draw-string-tightened-sphincter | spinster mentality.
Good for you! :-)
| If I want 'prim-and-proper', I'll exhume my aunt Bea. She held her | pinky out 'just the right way' when she drank her tea. Then, in the | evening, with her curtains drawn, she'd get hammered on gin and try | to slurp what-ever young female that dared to enter into her sphere | of 'properness'.
Ok, I'm curious. Does having misunderstood make me like your (surely hypothetical) aunt Bea?
| I don't dislike or hate anything or anybody easily. | | But I thoroughly hate hypocracy.
These statements ring true and have a lot to do with why people like you. I like you, too, but remain uncertain of the wisdom of greeting strangers with insult and agression.
| If I offended Henry Law with my brash comradic welcome, I apologize. | | If anybody else has a problem with this...well go and...have a nice | day.
Did. Thanks.

Naaaa. You are nothing like Aunt Bea. For openers, you are real, and I would find it difficult to imagine that you'd be chasing young girls after swigging 40 oz of gin. <G>

Am I to conclude from that, that the Australians are insulting and aggressive when their tourist bureau runs ads on TV (in Canada at least) which end with "So where the bloody hell are ya?" It really *is* a matter of the written word totally missing the (my) ability to convey the jovial intent.
But, I have taken your input to heart and will be more careful in the future. It'll be hard...but I'll try..... nope, no crossed fingers... nu-uh..
<G>
Robatoy wrote:
> [...]
No worry. This may be one of those areas in which smileys might be considered one of the great advances in communications.
I haven't seen the Australian ads - but I'll guess there's an actual smile in the ad video. That'd match well with my SO's account of her experience of Australian hospitality - Sydney and Cairns have become two of her very favorite places.

I haven't been to Cairns myself, but I have had the pleasure of spending some time (1999) in The Otways and Anglesea on the Great Ocean Road. What an amazing place it was. ....and those Aussies know have to have a good time.
..where women glow
"Robatoy" wrote in message

You're bringing back a flood of memories. I lived on a boat in the Cairns harbor for six months way back in '63.
The offshore geophysical company I was working for at the time shut the crew down for that length of time and I was one of two crew members who stayed on to keep the instruments in shape until we cranked up again. Tough duty! ... took about 3 hours a week to do that, then spent the rest of the time drinking beer and chasing those glowing women.
I've been told by friends who've been there since that I would not recognize the place. I remember it as paradise, with long trips to Green Island on Sunday's with the local contingent of bikini clad nurses, and with the only worry being that of getting back onboard with a 20' drop in tide after a night of partying.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Sounded rough. How, did you ever live through that hell? I suppose, when face-to-face with that kind of challenge, it brings the man out in you. Lucky bastard.
oops.. almost forgot
:o}

Unfortunately, a lot of humor can go unnoticed without a damned emoticon. Tom
tom wrote:
| Unfortunately, a lot of humor can go unnoticed without a damned | emoticon.
True, even when the scope is limited to North Americans whose primary language is English. It becomes ever more true as that scope is expanded to encompass the complete diversity of cultures/languages reading any given newsgroup.
In the expanded scope, emoticons may be much more a blessing than a curse - by rendering harmless a non-malicious remark that might otherwise offend and cause a potentially valuable contributor to turn away.
AFAICT, PC would dictate not making the remark - but emoticons allow making the remark and making clear that it was not intended to be hurtful.
Morris Dovey wrote:

G'day Morris, It's a funny thing but I didn't think there was anything funny about our Aussie lingo until I read replys and responses from people from other countries. You don't have smile in Oz when you ring someone that's late and ask "where the bloody hell are ya", not that a smile over the phone would do you much good, or when they turn up and ask "what bloody well kept ya, ya slack bastard". You just better make sure that you know the bloke. It's hard to think of other examples, when they are not strange to you. I s pose one of the strangest use of word by us is "Blue". Blue/Bluey- Person with Red Hair Blue - An argument or fight Bluey - A swag/Sleeping arrangement for camping Bluey - Traffic Ticket
Differences make the world go round.
regards John
Robatoy wrote:

http://philip.greenspun.com/zoo/index
Robatoy wrote:

Eh? Genuine surprise and puzzlement. Andy Dingley and I had a little disagreement but we're working that out, and I don't know of any other incident with which I've even been associated, far less taken offence at.
What are you referring to? Maybe I've been misunderstood and have some more bridge-building to do, and didn't realise.
--

Henry Law Manchester, England

Naaa, you're cool. Now, do you really think that maple logs need to be crated? *G*