PC ChooChoo 504(3) sander.

Did you see yet another positive review of that 6" ROS Ridgid made?? Oh well, I wasted my time hoping for an encore with their beltsander.

I talked to my sister in Olathe KS, she's more than happy to bring me a new PC 504(3) when she comes for Christmas. She'll clear customs for me.

That leaves one thing unresolved---> The 504 or the 503? One has a dust bag the other doesn't. Is there a specific reason why I wouldn't want the dustbag?

I would like some input from you dorkers, and I promise I won't mention Choo-Choos again....wel, not much...

(THIS way, after I get the Fein MultiTool, I will NEVER have the money to get me one of them Bot thingies...*G*... I have to stop hanging around here... you guys are a bad influence...)

I can't believe that at my age, I actually feel excitement for Christmas this year... like when I was a little kid...and that was about a choo-choo too...a box of Marklin HO... with a die-cast steam engine..articulated valve gear... TWO, count them TWO remote points. That trainset taught me a very important lesson in life. People will pay anything for anything if they want it bad enough.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" snip

I have an older choo choo and it works great. However, when I need a belt sander I almost always reach for the 362VSK 4x24. It is not a train model but it works very well and cuts fast.

Dust bags seem to always be in my way.

Dave

TeamCasa

"Robatoy"

Strictly personal opinion.

YMMV

Dust bags are a total PITA. If you can hook up a central dust collection hose, then maybe, otherwise, forget it.

I use the ChooChoo as an abrasive stock removal tool, not a finishing tool.

I'd spend more time emptying a dust bag than sanding, if I had one.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Don't buy the damned thing.

It's top heavy and digs in on the sides when you run it.

It's a cool looking thing that is a fifties/sixties design - that doesn't work well.

I bought one years ago and returned it in less than a month.

YMMV.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Which brings me to a point, and yes I comb my hair to cover it.

I question whether anybody but a top shop has any real need for a belt sander.

If you are doing counter tops, that's one thing.

OTOH, furniture is quite another matter.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I use my PC 4X24 to take off the grimy stuff from rough sawn lumber prior to jointing and planing... 36 grit does so quickly! Tom

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta